Monday, April 13, 2009

Holiday quilting

Happily, the holiday weekend brought time for quilting. I finally finished hand stitching down the binding for G-man's quilt---only four weeks after I started! Sheesh. Now on to the hand quilting. It isn't very comfortable to snuggle with or lean against covered with safety pins.

I also finished piecing the last row on The Boy's quilt and sewed the entire top together yesterday and when I held it up to show G-man from the stairs, it looked like a giant's quilt! Last night after dinner I spent a couple of hours cutting pieces for E2's quilt, only to find out at about 11:30 pm, when she got home and I laid out the pieced block for her, that I had miscut and am short some of the pieces. Ignoring my own cutting plan, I thought I was doing it correctly but will have to go back and recut from the leftovers. I only need a couple of squares for each block, but I already cut for 24 blocks so that's a bummer. Blockheaded move on my part!

Our neighborhood moms held an Easter egg hunt for all the little kids on the block and they had a grand time running around and gathering up candy and eggs on several yards on our cul de sac, including ours, even though we don't have little kids anymore. It is great to have neighbors who all know each other and play together. The block has come around in a circle again--when we first bought our house here the street was full of little kids, mostly boys, then there were none for a while, and now the neighborhood is lousy with boys again. Only one little girl lives at the end of the street--like when my two girls were the only littles!

I hope everyone had a happy Easter. We had an impromptu brunch, ready when E1 came home from work on her lunch break. It was nice to have the kids all here. The Boy is going to be gone now for two weeks on a job north of San Francisco, so we won't see him for a while.

1 comment:

Stephanie D said...

What a nice weekend! Your neighborhood sounds like the first one I remember, about age 6: lots of kids and bikes and moms.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...