Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day

Last night kicked off the holiday weekend--I spent it watching my cousin play the mellophone in the Concord (California) Blue Devils marching band performance held at UCSB. She previously played for the (Arizona) Sun Devils so her dad, one o'my mom's 7 little brothers, calls her a "double devil". She also played for "The Academy", another Arizona organization. If you have a chance to see any marching bands of this caliber playing at your local university, go! The choreography and sheer amount of music they must learn for these 10-15 minute performances is astounding! Tonight the tour of multiple different marching bands will be playing in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl. This is Jenessa's last year playing in such a company, and I am so glad we got to see her. It was an absolutely wonderful performance to watch and the Blue Devils won the night's competition!

Tonight we will spend Independence Day celebrating all that is America with family, food, fireworks, and thankfulness that we are all safe and free. That is always worth celebrating!

3 comments:

*karendianne. said...

What a treat. Jenessa is such a lovely name. My brain stretched. I never heard of a Mellophone. Now I know he marching mellophone is used in place of the horn for marching as it is a bell-front instrument, so that the sound goes in the direction that the player is facing. (took a Wiki trip)

Happy 4th. *karendianne.

Stephanie D said...

Hope you have, um, had a happy 4th! Me, I'm working. We did see fireworks from one of the empty rooms, however!

Glad you got to see your cousin play one more time!

Sara said...

Doing some catch-up! I loved playing in the band, though I was never that calibar. They are amazing!!
Love the quilts in the previous posts! Nick's Monster is great! And the Rick-rack road I have been eyeing!!!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...