Wednesday, January 6, 2010

And we're off!

I've been working on a baby quilt for my nephew born last March.  He's a pistol, that one, fights sleep like the Dickens--which is not a good thing for a 6th child in the family!  At Christmas he had a cold and was a bit fussier than normal.  Why do babies hate it when you want to SIT DOWN and hold them?  I bought the Noah's Ark fabric on clearance at JoAnn's soon after he was born, thinking it would do well with this free Super Sized 9 patch, but it was not appropriate for the fabric so it languished without a plan until I downloaded this free pattern from Quiltmaker.com some time ago. 



It has been fun to assemble the little nine patches. All of the solids were in my stash and some of the dots.

 
Isn't the Noah's Ark print adorable? I couldn't resist it (Henry Alexander Fabrics 2006).  I've got the other two borders all cut and ready to go after the nine patch border is finished and attached.  My goal is to get it all assembled this weekend and ready for quilting.  

My poor photographys skills notwithstanding, I assure you the Moda fabrics in this BOM are really, really pretty. The dot is burgandy in that grouping on the left.  The wools are showing up okay.  I'll post pics of my blocks when they are done, hopefully with much better lighting!



Also, I signed up for a block swap with the online quilting group I belong to (we just did the house blocks a couple months back); 30 blocks due at the end of January.  There are a lot of jewel box blocks I gotta start cutting for...this may require a trip to the fabric store. Oh gee, isn't that too bad!  So, all smiles, the weekend sewing plan is unfolding.

6 comments:

Julie in the Barn said...

Love that quilt for your new nephew. Bright quilts are so wonderful for babies. Sounds like you have a few docket for January!

Julie in the Barn said...

I meant to say a "full" docket!

Vivian said...

Those bright, bold 9-patch blocks around the Noah's ark panel are adorable. I get the Quiltmaker magazine by subscription but my magazines have too many great ideas to remember them all. Thanks for reminding me about this one.
I'll be watching your Moda BOM progress. Looks like a fantastic project.

julieQ said...

I love your baby quilt!So bright and pretty around your panel...great idea.

Browndirtcottage said...

This is a great little quilt.....OK....now how ya going to quilt it???

Tanya said...

Thank you. I've now downloaded the pattern too. I've got the ninepatches for it... Now to find some cute baby material!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...