Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Hearts and Home

I got some better photos of my little heart wallhanging--this was made from some fat quarters I picked up at my LQS.  Somehow I completely missed the Valentine's Day fabric section and just looked at the bins of pinks and reds!




The super-simple 6.5" blocks came from the free patterns on about.com.  What a great resource!  I became aware of these hearts due to a post by Jeanne of a swap she was in.  Such a cute, quick quilt project!  She graciously sent me the link at my request.  As soon as I checked it out, I realized it was the same block requested for a healing heart quilt being made by an online group I belong to for a fellow member whose husband is in hospice. Easy to cut and piece and fun to play with.  I made this wallhanging to raffle off at work for the girls--high roll of the dice won!  I made another wallhanging for myself with borders and sashing of randomly arranged 2" squares cut from the same fabrics.  No picture of that one yet, it got left at work today for the saddest loser (my office roommate) to enjoy for a day or two...She jinxed herself by first pretending to roll a six, but then she rolled a one on the real try!  I told her I would make her a single heart block but it had to be on the q.t. ( I have no idea what "q.t." actually means, I just realized)

My sewing machine had its spa day today and did not need any additional work beyond the cleaning/maintenance check, though the repair guy did write to me that I would get a better looking stitch if I used 50 wt thread rather than 40 wt.  Oh, well, it was just what I had on hand of ecru thread!

Don't forget to leave me a comment one my previous post if you want to have a chance at my little quilt/pattern blogaversary giveaway.  I have been doing a lot more handquilting on it in the meantime...Drawing will be tomorrow morning before Grant leaves for the day, probably 9-9:30 ish. 

3 comments:

loulee said...

I wanted to do a stitched Valentine this year, but was stuck for inspiration. Now I know, thanks to you.
Love your hearts.

Diane H said...

Very cute! These fabrics worked fine. I finished a Valentines hearts stitchery and need to make it into a mini quilt these hearts would work on either side. (I better hurry up!) Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Valentine's is sneaking up on me way too fast. I've got some heart fabrics...perhaps next year? Your little hearts quilt is delightful.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...