Thursday, September 8, 2011

X, Y & Z

So many days I head to work expecting I am going to do "X", and then when I get there Y & Z have happened and X goes out the window.  That's true about quilting too.  Last night I intended to get the UFO box of witches out of the Hoosier cabinet,  but when I was moving stuff around in my sewing area to get to it (a la archaeological dig), I unburied a plastic baggie from Quilts For Kids.  I knew a kit I'd ordered had come in a while back, but felt really terrible to see that June 17th was on the packing slip, far beyond the 4-6 week return request.  So a couple of hours of Y & Z later, I had this:

As usual, the kit contained 6.5" print squares, 3.5" strips to construct 4-patches with, plus border fabrics.  I decided to add some scraps of my own to change up the basic kit.

I dug around in my 2.5" scrap bin for black prints and cut squares.  Since the airplane print is directional with a lot of repeats, I thought the addition of the corner triangles would add a nice framing effect.  Want to help bring cheer to cancer patients?  Order a kit from Quilts for Kids!  They come with precut pieces for the top along with  backing and a label.  Just add batting and binding.   They are small with easy patterns.  I enjoyed  putting together one last year and ordered another free kit.  Now to get it finished and sent off!

10 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

You sound sooo much like me!! Thanks for the giggle...I'm off to dig around for a specific project...who knows what I'll end up working on!

Abby and Stephanie said...

It's fun to go on a "dig" and see what we come up with. Great project to work on. Someone is going to love the comfort it brings.

Barb said...

I love your quilt....love the planes.

Lorraine said...

I hear you with the X plan turning to Y & Z instead! Happens to me at work all the time.....and at home with thinking about working on one project and getting sidetracked and doing another. Love you little quilt..the planes are sure to make a little one's day a bit brighter.

*karendianne. said...

Oh Annie this is just like you. So kind. Plus it's cute and fun and that's like you, too!!!

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Nice~! I ordered a kit from Quilts for Kids once and found i was 8 inches short on the outside border. I had to do some interesting changes to the quilt to make it all work. My main problem was that I didn't have fabric that would remotely match. It's going to look great~!

Shay said...

Y and Z happen to me all the time too. Im quite easily distracted which doesnt help.

The quilt top is turning out beautifully and I'm sure that Quilts For Kids will appreciate it no matter when it arrives.

I saw some of that airplane fabric this week and debated about whether to buy it. I should have!

Michele said...

What a great cause! That quilt will be loved by someone who needs it :-) I was just thinking of cleaning up my sewing mess from a project that has kept me away from commenting for awhile. I'm glad to hear that "dig" applies to someone else's sewing space too! LOL!!

Kate said...

Very cute, like the dark corners you've added. I do that too, think I'm going to do X, and often end up at A.

Vivian said...

Turning the squares into snowballs is a nice change. I just ordered a couple more kits. My first ones got hidden under some other things and were forgotten for a while, but I eventually got them done, washed, and sent. Such a worthy cause.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...