Monday, November 21, 2011

Design Wall Monday--Nov 21, 2011

On my design surface is another new project, which jumped to the front of the line while I was avoiding contemplating quilting on the wedding quilt.  This is a comfort quilt destined for Quilts for Kids.  I showed the skull, flame and stripe fabrics last week and my plan for a strippie quilt.  Finally some sewing happened over the weekend.
I had just enough of the skull fabric to cut three 6.5" strips, but had to piece the flame fabric for enough width for two of the strips.  Luckily it is a busy fabric so difficult to see the seams. I cut all the pieces and stitched the top together in just a couple of hours.  It will finish in the 40 x 45" range.

Even got a backing made...

..and the binding cut and sewn.  All of the fabrics came from stash and scraps and I am very happy to move them on.  This orange piece was in a bag of "scraps by the pound" I bought at my LQS a year or two ago.  It was fun to get a wide variety with fabrics I would not normally choose.  Just now I am short on reds so it's time to get another bag.

I like to chain sew my binding, just flipping the right side up on the loose end of the strip and adding the next strip.  Eyeballing that seam does not work for me so a mechanical pencil and small 1" x 6" ruler are always within reach for marking.  Not shown here are the cut borders and finished backing and binding all ready for the Flowers for Nana Girl quilt.  I will have three more quilts to sandwich once I get all of my basting pins out of the wedding quilt!  I got brave and started the quilting on it Sunday night but didn't get far enough to share pics yet. See more design walls on Judy's Patchwork Times.

13 comments:

carol fun said...

Great idea - I have some fabrics like that (pirates, skulls) that my son likes and I could get this done quickly. Check out my post today- because of you I started some yellow blocks like the quilt you finished up. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sarah said...

OMG - I just remembered that I have a half finished kit done for Quilts for Kids. I wanted to applique a huge cat on it to match the fabric and I've just plumb forgotten. Thanks for the reminder and good luck with yours. Some kid will be very lucky to receive it!

Shay said...

The skull quilt looks brilliant and that binding is really going to make it sing. I think it looks fabulous!

I wish we had "by the pound " scrap bags here. They sound like a great way to get scraps.

I've never seen binding done that way before. Clever!

Shay said...

The skull quilt looks brilliant and that binding is really going to make it sing. I think it looks fabulous!

I wish we had "by the pound " scrap bags here. They sound like a great way to get scraps.

I've never seen binding done that way before. Clever!

Shay said...

Stupid blogger !

Quilter Kathy said...

You make your bindings exactly like I do...great minds think alike!
Look forward to seeing how you are quilting the wedding quilt!

Cherie in St Louis said...

I, uh hum, contemplate quilting often ;) That's a great boys quilt for Quilts for Kids and I love that you used the striped fabric.

Kate said...

What a cool way to make binding. Your quilt for kids will be just the thinf for a boy. Very cool!

Vicki H. said...

Very cool quilt that will be so "rock" for a kid. I can't wait to see how you quilt the wedding quilt!

Denise :) said...

I think this is a fun top and some young man will be very thrilled with it!! Way to go, Annie! :)

Joyful Quilter said...

What a fun quilt and a great young guy quilt.

Heather said...

Nothing better than using up stash on such a great cause. The quilt will be very loved, I'm sure. I love the binding print!

Browndirtcottage said...

I think this "boyish" quilt is turning out quite nice!!

Yep, I chain piece my binding too!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...