Wednesday, February 29, 2012

UFO Challenge 2012 Update

So, here it is, February 29, and I don't have anywhere near a finish on my UFO Challenge 2012 pick of the month, Judy's Mystery Quilt.  But Judy said to post progress if there is no finish, and there has been progress!  I started with the pieced top only:

Here's the backing, which is having MATH problems...

...because as you can see, it does not hang down as far as the top.  I am about a foot short and have yet to remedy the problem.  There is enough fabric but it will mean more MATH and, as my regular visitors know, I am a WORD girl.  The extra seams required on the backing will not bother me but I have yet to come up with a quilting plan.  No finish for February, bummer!  There was no finish for January either but some progress, as I am still handquilting Patriotic Fields--got the binding on and all the blocks done, now working on the sashing and settting triangles.

Judy's draw for March is #8, which on my list is my Greenpiece BOM and there is a lot of work there.  I am going to switch that out for #9, two table runners needing finishing.  I figure that way I can continue to work on the January and February UFOs for a triple play at the end of March to cancel out my two strikes :)

12 comments:

Michele said...

Progress is good in my book :-)

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quilter Kathy said...

I just love this quilt, so I hope you can just insert a filler strip in the backing and start quilting on it. A triple play (which I would call a Hat-trick) would be awesome!

The Vintage Seamstress said...

OMG what a beautiful little quilt top! WOW, it is soooooo detailed. I think you got some skills!
Blessings!

Nancy said...

Oh how I love all that green. Nice job.

JudyCinNC said...

Really nice quilt. Judy C

Janet O. said...

I really like the top. Too bad the back didn't fit. I know you'll get it worked out.

Marg said...

Good luck with the Math, I've been known to be short on the back because of my math skills!
It's a beautiful quilt so I hope you work it out soon.

Abby and Stephanie said...

The math in quilting is my least favorite part -- especially when I have to figure it out! I agree that any progress is good!

Denise :) said...

Haha -- I love math in quilting! I like number challenges. Although that doesn't mean I'm *great* at it!! Your March plan sounds like a winner ... looking forward to an end-of-the month trifecta! :)

McIrish Annie said...

The top is fabulous! I know that even with an extra day in February I barely touched my list of to-dos. I like your idea of a triple play! and btw, i hate the maths too, i'm a word girl.

Vivian said...

How about a diagonal insert on the backing, slicing it apart at a 45-degree angle, duplicating the angle of the red chain on the front of the quilt?
You've made progress, and that's good. Finishes are highly overrated (especially when we don't have them). At least I keep telling myself that.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...