Monday, March 26, 2012

Design Wall Monday--March 26, 2012

Last Design Wall Monday in March, how time flies.  Although this photo looks strikingly similar to ones I've shown before of this UFO project, this week I get to report a finish--finally! 

After ripping out all the previous quilting, on the advice of several blog friends I bought Aurifil Mako 50 wt cotton quilting thread and a new package of 90/14 machine needles.  I am happy to report that all the quilting was accomplished without a single thread or needle break.


There was some ripping of ugly "traveling" stitches or arcs that looked awful, but no thread nests appeared on the back, thankfully.  I quilted the lines about 3/4" apart and really like the texture.  This design is called "Echo Shell", from Leah Day's From Daisy to Paisley free motion quilting book. 

The striped bias cut binding went on quickly.  The fabric is Boutique and the pattern "Party Time" by Heather Mulder Peterson (Anka's Treasures) from her book On the Run.

I'm pleased that this tablerunner is at last ready to be used.  My mom fell in love with it so I'll get to enjoy it until Mother's Day.  See more design walls on Judy's Patchwork Times.

15 comments:

Janet O. said...

I can see why your Mom fell in love with it. This turned out beautifully! Your quilting inspires me to be more brave on my own. Thanks!

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

The quilting turned out really great and worth the trouble, good for you for perseverance in the face of adversity.

Candace said...

Just adorable, Annie! Your mom will be thrilled! I'm glad the thread and needle size worked for you!
Cheers!

One Minnesota Quilter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
One Minnesota Quilter said...

That is a cheerful table topper and you did a nice job quilting it too! :)
Judy

Shay said...

Im glad you had a success with the thread and new needles Annie. I know how frustrated you were by your earlier attempt. Now you know it wasn't you - it was your tools.

Your Mom is going to adore this.

Quilter Kathy said...

Looks great! So happy to hear that you had good luck with the Aurifil thread :)

Libby said...

Aurifil is a favorite. I just love the quilting . . . . one of the days I'm going to get brave and get out of my comfort zone. You have inspired me.

marcella said...

Great table runner. That striped binding is just perfect for it!

Kate said...

Very pretty. I love the stripped binding. Congrats on the finish.

Sue Daurio said...

wow, I LOVE the quilting on the runner. And that binding is just awesome, I certainly understand why your mom fell in love with this one.

Joyful Quilter said...

Love the quilt design, perfect for the table runner.

Abby and Stephanie said...

A lovely Mother's Day gift. It's so pretty.

McIrish Annie said...

Love your runner! Glad the new thread worked out. and I love your new laminate. I have had it in my kitchen and family room for over 15 years and adore it. didn't know that they sold "distressed". My dog, kid and kitties have pretty much distressed mine. LOL. still love it, easy to clean and always looks good. Enjoy!

Teresa F. said...

Love your runner. The colors are awesome and the quilting is fantastic.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...