Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tuesday's Orts

Orts--bits and scraps of thoughts and events that land here semi-regularly.
  • Can someone explain to me why the daily horoscopes start with Aries (March)?  I've always wondered.  
  • The Sunday Crossword puzzle can send me to a dictionary, which I don't mind; I love words and learning their meanings.  However, it seems backwards to me when the definition includes the very word you're looking up.  Or, more often, other words you don't know so you have to look them up too.
  • Elder scams are a big topic lately in the news.  Someone we know was a recent victim of criminals on the phone posing as their young adult loved one, in trouble in a foreign country and in need of money, and requesting they wire the money but keep the trouble "just between them until they returned home".  They had all kinds of personal details that seemed real enough, but were no doubt gleaned from unwittingly volunteered information during the call. Don't believe it!  Hang up and CALL your loved one's wife/husband/brother/mother/father and confirm they are away in a foreign country before wiring any money.  You'll never get it back.
  • C.O.W. rant (Crabby Old Woman):  Clothing manufacturers have cleverly been decreasing the fabric in women's shirts for some time by exhorting "Y necks"--meaning they don't have to have a proper collared neck and they cut out at least two buttons and buttonholes; as well as featuring 3/4 length sleeves--meaning they skip all that fabric from forearm to wrist times two.  I'd be happy to choose how low my neckline goes and whether I want to roll up the sleeves, thank you very much.
  • A seldom used kitchen tool is getting a workout on a current sewing project I am making for the Marrieds for their new house:

An electric knife is perfect for cutting foam for a patio set's seat cushions.  And it's fun to use on something besides turkey!

11 comments:

Denise :) said...

Our electric knife gets used on a very regular basis -- Todd uses it to filet his fishing hauls! I've never thought about the horoscope thing. Interesting! Your 'C.O.W.' rant is spot on!! :)

Janet O. said...

Before reading, when I saw the photo, I thought we were going to have a seamstress's version of a chainsaw massacre--maybe the foam pads feel that way. Very clever use! : )

Libby said...

On the horoscope - the zodiac (astrological?)year starts with Aries.
On telephone scams - I recently had some telemarketer fun. The call was clearly a scam where the caller claimed to be with Microsoft (which apparently they really are - but rogue employees) They state that they are calling because of a bug/problem with your software and you need to perform a series of the keystrokes on your computer which then gives them access for the 'repair' Instead it gives access to all your personal information.
Now for my fun - every time the caller said something to me, I simply responded 'Yeah' The conversation became quite amusing. Finally in frustration the 'telemarketer' hung up on me! It took only two of these calls and suddenly I seem to be off the list :-)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Great use for an electric knife, we've used our for foam too. The telemarketing and phone scams are infuriating. I love your blouse commentary, so true!!

Vivian said...

My 87-year-old mom dealt with one of these scam calls, but she figured out what was going on (thank goodness). She kept peppering the caller with questions and comments till he hung up in frustration. Go Momma!

Quilter Kathy said...

NOthing more scary than a C.O.W. wielding an electric knife!

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

On your 3/4 sleeve rant - I LOVE them! They're great for hiding old lady bat wings and not too hot for those of us with a heating problem, (is it hot and cold enough in here for ya?)

McIrish Annie said...

My pet peeve is that everything is sleeveless.(lots of fabric saved there) even in the WINTER. I would love to see more short and long sleeved blouses for the office.

Dawn said...

I love the carving knife - on foam.
Those scammers are nasty - but IMHO people put too much a=on Facebook so they can be impersonated...just sayin'
Good luck clothes shopping - I dread it.

Candace said...

So that's why blouses are being made like that now - I'm with you, Annie! Love your tool re purposing - I would have never thought of that!
Cheers!

Kate said...

I think I've given up on finding anything with a real collar!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...