Monday, September 15, 2014

Design Wall Monday--Sept 15, 2014

On my design surface today is a commissioned quilt in progress.  I'm making a Winding Ways quilt for a friend's sister and brother in law's 50th wedding anniversary. 

It's going to be mostly a two color quilt like this one on the APQ magazine cover (February 2013).  This pattern and article covers use of the Accuquilt GO! Cutter Winding Ways die and using Layer Cake precuts.  Maybe that is why the directions for this 80" square quilt give a mind-boggling yardage amount for the front of the quilt--6 1/4 years EACH of assorted cream and blue prints.  Excuse me, but I think 12 1/2 yards of fabric is a bit much for the front of a quilt! 

Using the die cutter, I got enough pieces for 30 block centers for the positive blocks, and 30 block pieces for the negative blocks.  This was from six cuts of fabric 5/8 of a yard, which is less than four yards total, even with cutting a 2 1/2" binding strip from each print, and fabric waste from the die cutter.  I did underestimate how many blocks I need to make for the 9x10 layout I plan (8" blocks), so need about two more 5/8 yard cuts.  That is still over a yard less than 6 1/4 yards estimated just for the blocks and not including the binding.  I realize they give an overage but it seems way over!  Next I'll cut all the cream fabric with the same die.  Sure does shorten by many hours the work to get these shapes for the blocks.

See more design walls on Judy's Patchwork Times

9 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Once there was a table topper size quilt pattern that gave 15 yards total fabric in the materials list. Sounds like someone could use some Supreme testers. :o) I love the movement in this quilt.

Mary said...

I've always been intrigued by this pattern. I am so glad you did not need as much fabric as the pattern called for.

Janet O. said...

I've always loved this design, but never had the courage to make it. If I had seen those fabric requirements I would have been doubly scared of it!
Oh, I am drooling over those lovely, warm and glowing fabrics. This will be a beauty!

Barb said...

That go cutter sure makes short work of it...just fun and fabulous!

carol fun said...

Love the fabrics you've cut so far -- beautiful color. And I agree that the yardage requirements were waaaaaay over what is needed...just thinking about this quilt for a minute or two lead my pea brain to the same conclusion. Happy stitching!

Shay said...

12.5 yards did seem rather a lot so Im happy for you that it didn’t take that much ( but it does seem they got their math wildly wrong)

Cant wait to see this quilt take shape- its lovely.

I really need to invest in some more dies for my Go cutter...

Karendianne said...

These colors are great and you're going to have a lot of fun as the first nine come together!

Sue Daurio said...

that is going to be one gorgeous quilt!!

MARCIE said...

I don't have a GO cutter, but I can sure see where this pattern would be perfect for it. And you will have some scraps left from the sides for future scrap quilts!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...