Monday, March 20, 2017

Design Wall Monday--UFO #5 Progress

On my design floor is the #5 pick of the month for the UFO 2017 Challenge.  After struggling with MATH when I found there was not enough background material to do what I wanted, I pressed on with my new layout design and got many more Metro Twist pieces made (Pattern from Sew Kind of Wonderful, with the Quick Curve Ruler). 
Additional prints were added to the mix in the same colors.  For my 3x3 layout, I had just barely enough of the orange solid background.  After completely confusing myself with one go at laying out all the completed and half-done parts, I pulled them all back up and started over, separating the rows.  Finally I was able to work out what additional prints and parts were necessary and get them all cut and pieced.

I used Kona Silver for the outer edge and am considering insetting the whole thing into a larger Silver background negative space.  It would be appropriate, since this whole project started with my modern quilt guild's challenge to use a neon color.  There are only 12 days left of the month and I aimed for a completed quilt for this project pick. While this project is not large, the blocks are about 11" when completely sewn--I have that yet to do! Sketching and MATH are in my future.  See more design walls on Judy's Patchwork Times

10 comments:

Janet said...

This looks great... Wonderful use of that orange 😊

Janet O. said...

I like what you have come up with for the final layout.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Wow! This quilt is going to be stunning. More grey will really make that orange POP!! It's beautiful!!!

Ramona said...

I just bought that ruler and am going to a friends to play with it on Thursday. I've never worked with curves and this is one goal for this year. Your quilt is going to be awesome!!

Kate said...

Finishing off with that silver was an inspired idea. Good luck with your plans for a finish by the end of the month. You've made really good progress on this one.

Mary said...

This is a great project. Love the colors and those curves!

Louise said...

The silver is a wonderful neutral for this quilt! I love the eclectic mix of fabrics in this piece.

Stephie said...

What an amazing quilt design - I'm not surprised the maths is confusing! It's so striking - I love the red/orange background colour. You must be excited to get it finished, I know I would be!

Sherrill said...

WOW! That is really pretty (but looks like WAY more work than I'd wanna do!! HA). Curved sewing is not something I enjoy but you have done a great job.

Stacy Hurt said...

Gorgeous!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...