Thursday, April 1, 2010

Working...

Since the weekend I have been spending time at my cutting table and sewing machine.  I have started turning this pile of parts

That's two colors of Moda Basic Grey--solids with sort of splotches of other colors here and there--and a Kona green.






The goal is to make this quilt from Crazy Mom Quilts tutorial that appeared here:

I was really sorry to have found Crazy Mom's blog just before she stopped writing it.  And the Bee Square Blog has also petered out.  Bummer.






I got as far as laying out the first row before my quilting assistant Mini carefully walked across each block and then settled.  I shooed her away and tried to lay out some more blocks.  After shooing her away five more times, this was the result:

And she was NOT moving...

....until this additional visitor arrived. 

What follows is a guest blogger tutorial.  The title of this tutorial is "How to Heckle a Cat", by EricaO


By the way, I hate when people call me "Erica O" because it reminds me of being at work and having my name read aloud to me off of my name tag. Yes, thank you, I know my name already. Anyway...more to the point.
So, here I am, during the beginning stages of cat hecklation. I first put the kitty in an extremely uncomfortable and undesirable position. You of course must be VERY EXCITED because it enchances the discomfort for said hecklee.

I then move on the most dreaded move of all: the combination face/paw scrunch. For each cat, you may have find their specific weakness. For Mini, the face touching is a no go...so obviously a thumbs up for heckling!
Here I am with my own cat whom I have long hours of heckling practice with. I like to pull the corporal cuddling move on her, which causes quite a bit of meowing!
And more cuddling, more tightly bound to ensure your cat knows JUST HOW MUCH you REALLY love them. When I do this, Amelie meows and it sounds just like "NOAW" (ie "no" for you non-kitty speakers), which clearly inspires me to hold on just a little longer :)
Finally, when they have really had enough, you set them free and they disappear into an "I hate you" place, while still keeping a good eye on you (in case you decide you haven't finished with them!)

9 comments:

Elaine said...

Gahhhhhh I love my skissy. Hilarious.

Shay said...

How lovely to meeet Erica, and to obtain tips for cat hecklation a. I have two and have never mastered the art

Now I've read this tutorial by your awesome guest blogger, I'm off to practice!

Anonymous said...

Always love kitty stories and photos!!

eva said...

This is SO-O-O true.....

and yes WE hear the NOAW.....quite often too.....

...but.....alas.....they come back for more.....

xo
eva

Vivian said...

I barely got acquainted with the Crazy Mom Quilts site, and she closed it. I'm glad her tutorials are available to us -- at least I hope they're all still there.

Unknown said...

I have 4 kitties and they always seem to find me in my sewing room - no matter how quiet I am! I really like the way the quilt is going to look. I look forward to seeing when it is finished.

Browndirtcottage said...

...Oh wow....this is toooooooo funny!! This was VERY enlighting because I don't have any cats!!!
Would this work on a little 'Goober' dog???

*karendianne. said...

Erica! You are hilarious. I love reading this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tanya said...

Thank you for the lesson. Yep, each cat has their own don't touch me place...

Mini knows good stuff!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...