Posts

Showing posts from July, 2016

Design Wall Monday--More Cocoa

Image
Off my design floor is Cocoa Baskets;  progress has been pretty straight line--there are no quilts jumping ahead at the moment!  I got all the vertical rows completed late last week except for some half-blocks.  Saturday  my sister called and we went to the local quilt shop where I unexpectedly found the perfect sashing fabric.  I thought I wanted green but when I saw this Nancy Gere print, it seemed a good fit. The scale of the stars is just right.  Serendipity! I bought 2 yards to allow for shrinkage and to avoid having to piece the sashing, which I cut for 5" finished width.  I also completed the four half blocks to finish the rows.  The top went together easily and just before it got too dark, DH held it up for me to photograph. I'm happy with how my abbreviated version of the pattern turned out (Cocoa Baskets, McCall's Quilting Sept/Oct 2010).  I'll use the remainder of the sashing fabric and whatever else I can turn up from stash for backing.   See

Tuesday's Orts--MQG version

Image
Tuesday's Orts--bits of thoughts and events that land here occasionally.  This one is quilt heavy! The Modern Quilt Guild I belong to has some very talented members.  This was much in evidence for a quilt swap I joined in a few months ago.  Last year we did a Round Robin, this year it was a Row Robin.  Eight members submitted a beginning row and fabrics to accompany the row along with a preference sheet.  Each month we passed along a completed row and got another quilt top to work on, all modern in style--a real stretch of the brain!  Four rounds later, the tops were done and we had our reveal last night.  Here's mine:  The Improv half-log cabin blocks on the left end were my starter row and I included all solid fabrics for the other stitchers to play with; I requested a minimum of black be used.  Wow, what a great job they all did!  I love the way the quilt is more red on one half and more teal on the other. Many thanks to the four wonderful ladies who worked on my top

Cocoa Baskets Progress

Image
What bliss to spend a weekend piecing blocks on this old UFO, Cocoa Baskets.   Saturday afternoon I came home from watching grandson Hunter and got the few needed basket blocks fused to the backgrounds and blanket stitched, and cut out the remaining Churn Dash blocks.  That left the 9 patches to pull together this morning before layout.  After I took this photo above I realized I had yet to trim the basket blocks down to size.  A rotating cutting mat is indispensable for this task, so glad I bought one a few years ago with a 50% off coupon. There are four partial 9 patch blocks yet to assemble.  I wanted to wait to choose their colors once the vertical rows were decided upon.  There will be sashing between the vertical rows, so this is not a final top size,  but I ran into a snag almost immediately.  Can you see the wart in this layout?  Sticking out by a mile is that low volume 9 patch which I pieced so long ago.  It had to go. There was a bit of switcheroo of other blocks

UFOs and Grands

Image
A mixed bag once again this post.  After I showed the High Cotton quilt top finish a couple of weeks ago, I'm sorry to say it remains a top. Backing fabric I'd chosen had some unacceptable flaws and a small hole so I'm at a stall until I choose something else from stash.   In my desire to keep the UFOs moving, I turned to my Hoosier cabinet and picked Cocoa Baskets , from McCall's Quilting Sept/Oct 2010 .  That's right, this project could start first grade this year!   Luscious greens and dark reds and a couple of browns were selected for this sort of primitive designed row quilt by Sarah Maxwell and Dolores Smith ( Homestead Hearth Quilts ) who used black, tobacco, and dark browns.  I did make a change to the pattern as I prefer the Churn Dash block I made here rather than the Shoo-Fly type.  I also am making fewer blocks for a smaller quilt.  The project hit UFO status when I could not decide how to finish the appliqued basket quilts and ran out of backgr