After another unexpected blog break, I'm pleased to return to DWM and show a finished quilt. This is High Cotton, a Kim Diehl design from her Simple Comforts book series, and is lap sized, 54"x 66". I started this quilt far too long ago and am thrilled to have put the last stitch in the binding this morning, two years later. I'm pleased with my efforts to emulate Kim's mix of muted and bright CW repros and included a few zingers. There are more green prints than any other, as green is my favorite color, but I don't think its too much green. Slightly blurry pic but shows the quilting detail well. I wanted lots of curves to complement all the straight lines. So happy my LQS now has longarm quilting services. I chose a tan thread and like how it turned out. The warm gray Paisley print binding I'm happy with too, though it was hard to cu
Showing posts from September, 2016
- Other Apps
Tuesday's Orts--bits and bobs of thoughts and events that land here occasionally A month went by during which I thought about blogging roughly daily but never seemed to get myself to the computer. Life has been very busy and it is apparent that is likely to remain so! We are spending a lot of time dealing with my husband's 97 year old mother's needs and difficulties with worsening dementia, including a number of emergency room visits for falls, fortunately without any significant injuries. She has caregivers to help now but we still worry a lot. I got back the Mystery Quilt from the longarmer and love the Baptist Fan quilting. Binding I made about two years ago is waiting to be applied. I need a new name for this quilt! I took another quilt in to be done and can't wait to see how High Cotton will look. Our MQG Opportunity Quilt is finished. I volunteered to take over the binding from another member. This is the first time I have ever finished someone
- Other Apps
Happy Labor Day! I hope to spend plenty of time stitching today while my boss pays me :) On my design floor today is a new baby quilt from leftovers. Some of these flying geese are from grandson Cove's baby quilt. Other prints are leftovers from another baby quilt I made for one of DD Elaine's friends. The layout I found on Pinterest but cannot give credit or find the pattern as the link dead ended in a bad site with a warning! But it is simple enough-- the blocks will all be sashed on the left side with a white on white print, then every other block is turned. I drafted it out on graph paper and made a bunch more Fast Geese. Pairs of flying geese are topped with a third goose in a different pattern. This is the first go at layout, trying to get the darks evenly distributed. I added all the single geese to the pairs but it needed tweaking. I pulled them apart to simulate the sashing and played switcheroo a bit more.