This past week there was not a lot new happening in the sewing room, but I did join a local craft night at Superbuzzy Quilt shop after work one night, and put a few embroidery stitches in while chatting with some new acquaintances. One of the other gals was a town native like me so we had a fun conversation; I also learned the shop owner lived in my childhood neighborhood. Small world, in a town of 100,000!
I spent so much time chatting I didn't realize until later that I used the wrong color for the butterfly, and those stitches had to be pulled out. Oh well.
I had Friday off work so I got the last Thomas Fire quilt bound and ready for our Guild's last official giveaway event Saturday. It was another big quilt that fortunately I found an appropriate binding fabric for in the stash. We had a good turn out of volunteers, making quick work of setting up tables and arranging about 300 quilts to give out. We had some early lookers, but held off giving away any quilts until the appointed hour. Lots of folks who lost homes had registered for quilts, and the huge number of quilt choices was overwhelming to them. We held up quilts and chatted about the Perkiomen Valley blocks we got from 49 states and a number of countries that turned into the tops and quilts. We still had a lot of quilts left at the end of the event, but gave away over 100. Our practically free office space that has been Thomas Fire Quilt Central will expire at the end of August, and we hope all who are still in need of a quilt will collect one there. We have been watching news of the other huge fires burning in California, particularly the Carr Fire near Redding in Northern California, where so many homes have been lost, and horribly two firefighters killed, and several residents. Our thoughts are with them.
The sewing room is emptier now, without the Thomas Fire quilts and Fair projects filling it up. Today after some patio time with embroidery, I virtuously mended some sweaters that have been waiting months for a five minute repair job. Mini caught some rays while supervising.
Quilt projects in play include the Jewel Box blocks that are ready to assemble into a top, however when stacking up the row I noted that some of the blocks are spinning the wrong way, which means they won't nest properly. I'll have to take them apart and resew, which I am not looking forward to. Sigh. Perhaps I'll skip over to the Christmas quilt I showed last time. It is ready to lay out and assemble!