Design Wall Monday--see more great projects on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.
While hubby was off golfing on Sunday, I poked around my small projects drawer and the precut squares and strip drawers for entertainment. There were some brown/white HSTs that looked like a good starting point. Soon I was pulling more browns and neutrals, cutting up more scraps to make HSTs.
A pattern soon showed up, though it seemed to take all afternoon to get to this point! Finding enough of one brown scrap/partial fat quarter to cut matching 4" squares for the HSTs was the first hurdle. Initially I was going to make only three blocks...
Then I made three more, and included the blue print. That led to needing another row to make a more cohesive scrappy quilt. Improv is hard! I do better when there is some commonality; in this case, cheddar centers with the four brown squares, and creamy yellowy prints with red centers for the simple churn dash blocks.
Lots of auditioning, trimming, refolding and reorganizing. It was good to poke into the fat quarter dresser, but a colorful squirrel showed up, too!
While at Sewtopia Palm Springs last November, I bought a curated fat quarter stack at the in-event shop, in colors foreign to most of my stash. They have been in a wire bin on top of the fat quarter dresser, so I see them frequently. I decided to find a fat quarter friendly pattern among my library. Several options were narrowed down to the Livin Large pattern booklet by Heather Mulder Peterson--seems she's my favorite designer recently--having just finished the bindings on two runners from another booklet of hers :)
The pattern I was drawn to is on the back of the booklet, Pretty in Pink, and required additional fat quarters for the throw size, meaning many auditions from the stash drawers. The curated fat quarter bundle is the top group in this photo.
Pink and blue are not colors I have much of, but I did find some sweet coral options and a repro blue print that blended. The pattern also can be cut from 10" squares. I likely will not add the applique, but we'll see! The bolt of Kona Snow I bought last year still has plenty of fabric on it, which I will use for the narrow sashing. Nice to have all the fabric I need for this on hand!