This is a different kind of staying at home than we've ever experienced--surely that is true for most people! We've been told to stay home during times of fire, earthquake, flood, and windstorms, but nothing compares to the novel coronavirus for disrupting all our lives. Stitching keeps me busy and sewing masks has taken priority. I've made 17 masks so far--16 for our Guild drive for local hospitals, and the latest for my husband at his request. This is the pattern we have been advised to use: https://www.instructables.com/id/AB-Mask-for-a-Nurse-by-a-Nurse/
A guild member has made a few suggestions for this pattern, including trimming the paper pattern down a 1/4 inch all around before cutting the pieces, since trimming is called for later in the pattern and is an extra step. My sister has been using a double fold binding for hers. I continue the single fold as per the pattern, but add extra stitching at the corners of the mask where there will be lots of tension when tied.
I used quilting cottons for the first batch, then got out the batiks box to make the next set--a suggestion I read due to higher thread count in these fabrics. I also made the inner layer a light color to help distinguish right from wrong side. Some guild members have also included an arrow to indicate the top (nose) edge. Lots of fabric mixing and matching here--gotta keep it interesting! Our guild has now turned in 150 masks that went to our County hospitals. They are aiming for 3000 so we will keep sewing. I had to call in an order to Superbuzzy for more Aurifil thread--I'm always happy to support local quilt shops. Our other local shop is also doing door pickup of supplies.
In between mask pieces I finished the Tea Time charm pack top--trying to work on my March self-challenge to clear out the Hoosier cabinet. I added borders and ordered backing from Superbuzzy which I picked up along with the thread. This will be a little quilt for our grandson arriving sometime in August.
I had the hardest time with the getting the right border measurements, since I was making it up as I went. There was not enough of the solid blue to have just the gray cornerstones, but luckily I had the acid green print that coordinated well with the charm squares. The bottom right corner was pulling and after I took the picture it was fixed. I'm so pleased with the bright colors and look forward to quilting it soon.
After picking up my quilting supplies on Friday I drove down to the beach. It was very windy and dark clouds were moving in from the north.
A little more non-mask related sewing was dedicated to a companion pillow I'm making for my dad to match his Chunky Churndash qult. The idea was born of extra HSTs that made up an Oklahoma Twister block, and yet another kind of Churndash I designed. It measures about 21 inches square here and I may add another narrow plain border to preserve the corner design before choosing the pillow form size.
Stay well and don't touch your face! I may make myself a mask to keep from doing just that :)