Monday, February 20, 2017

Design Wall Monday--including Squirrel

Some sewing has been happening here in rainy SoCalif but some of it I cannot show because I completely misplaced it.  We had a sew-in for guild on Saturday and I did a demo of the Tri-Recs ruler set and also the V-Block Trimmer.  I made it home with those tools, which some members had borrowed to try out at the sew in, but for the life of me cannot locate the plastic grocery store bag that held all the parts, samples and premade blocks.  An APB to the guild Facebook page might help.  Anyway, at guild, one of the members was making philanthropy placemats and I remembered a bunch of precut tumblers I had and laid some out yesterday. 

I think they'll sew up to a nice size and will be donated to a Seniors meal program here in the city.  The main oriental print is at least 10 years old. I also received the latest APQ magazine and got bitten by a Squirrel--despite my already staggering number of projects in the works--and just had to play with fabric.  

I was intrigued by the single color use of the cover quilt with the cross blocks and pulled blue fabrics and scraps.  There were not enough and I pulled oranges and rusts to play too.  My plan is to make a smaller version of the cover quilt (which is 80" square"), probably with different backgrounds from stash. Currently my yardage bins, fat-quarter drawers, and scrap system is overwhelming me and definitely needs thinning--despite my large Konmari purge last year!  Concentrating on creating quilted projects will remain a theme the rest of the year.  Many more placemats, perhaps potholders, mug rugs, runners and anything else I can think of to play with is the object.  

The backyard is green again with all this rain we've had, and the weeds are sure invading the flowerbeds.  Downed trees and a few mudslides nearby but no lengthy power outages so far.  My daughter had a leak in the baby's room but her husband was able to fix it.  She dragged Hunter's crib mattress to another room for his nap, lol!  Our local lake is gradually filling but still far below capacity after all these drought years.  Despite rising 6 feet with the last storm it is still at about 40%.  Fingers crossed that reservoirs and groundwater will be replenished enough to call the drought broken--though not over.  

Friday morning I put on a pair of street shoes to navigate the wet walk from car to office, grabbing a pair of tennies from the closet floor and stuffing them in a plastic bag.  

Unfortunately, the shoes didn't match. I wore them anyway, to the entertainment of the office staff and my doctor boss and roommate PA.  At least they were both mostly black.  It was interesting to wear one of each and notice how much my heel hurt from the right shoe!

See more design walls on Judy's Patchwork Times. 

8 comments:

Janet said...

I always enjoy reading your posts and hope you folks get enough rain to end the drought....Here in southeastern Ontario, Canada we are slowly .... slowly...heading towards spring and have had some snow melt and mild temps ..I also purchased that magazine and I'm interested in seeing what you make 😊

Janet said...

I always enjoy reading your posts and hope you folks get enough rain to end the drought....Here in southeastern Ontario, Canada we are slowly .... slowly...heading towards spring and have had some snow melt and mild temps ..I also purchased that magazine and I'm interested in seeing what you make 😊

time4stitchn said...

I love your scrap selection for the quilt. I keep trying to use up my scraps. But then I need backing, borders and batting. I think I am getting better... Hmmms.
As for your weather, it seems inconceivable to increase a lake 6 feet but still be down 60%, But the drought has been very lengthy. I am glad to live in the Midwest. But we reached a new all time high of 65 degrees this weekend. So much for winter.

time4stitchn@gmail.com

Sherrill said...

Guess you fit in with the 'younger generation' (HAHA) since they are pretty much averse to wearing anything that matches (aren't they?). I've got that same mag and bought it specifically for the 2 quilts on the cover (but will probably make the other first).

Janet O. said...

But the right shoe has such pretty colors on it! It shouldn't hurt. : )
I love what you are planning for your new project. Great color scheme!
Our rain is turning to snow tomorrow, according to the weather report. We keep getting the leftovers from your storms. That is a lot for a lake to rise and still be so low!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Great shoes!! - looks like something I would do - ;))

Tanya said...

Laughed about your unmatching shoes! My sister in law was telling me about all the rain you've been getting. Hope it is a blessing to Southern California.

Kate said...

Ooooh, I like your fabric pulls for the new project. That's going to be fun. Hopefully you are still dry at your place. I wondered how you were fairing with all the rain in your part of the world.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...