Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Blogger's Quilt Festival

I decided to join in the fun and post about my favorite quilt for the Blogger's Quilt Festival on Amy's blog. Naturally my photos showed up opposite of how I wanted, so you're seeing a close up first. My header is of the same quilt as well.



This quilt's story started with the pattern, found in the American Patchwork & Quilting magazine from several years back (2002 maybe?). It is "Round the Twist", by Alex Anderson. Her version was pinks and greens, I recall, with a pretty floral border, and a Kaffe Fausset stripe as the narrow inner border. While shopping at a LQS, I saw the same border in a different colorway and decided then I was going to make the quilt, but in my favorite combo of red and green. I had a great time collecting fabrics for this project. Finding the outer border was hardest; I am not really a "big florals" kind of gal but this leafy print with fall fruits suited perfectly. This was my first foray into machine free motion quilting in the centers of the snowball blocks and I was pleased with my effort, though it is far from perfect. I got the free image from Quiltmaker mag's website. I used transparent thread for all the quilting and there are several miles of tiny meandering in the border. I hope I succeed in linking back as instructed--I am still a baby blogger and, er, not that much of a technie, though I do okay!

11 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Hi there Annie O,
Love your quilt. The floral border is great! I love florals, so it really appeals to me. Great color combination. I am fairly new to the blogging world too, but it has been so nice to meet other quilter/bloggers on this virtual quilt festival.

Bunny said...

Beautiful. I love the use of red and green for this pattern.

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful.....I've read a few articles about transparent thread and keep thinking someday....I love your border fabric...very nice..

Scrappy quilter said...

What a beautiful quilt.

Latane Barton said...

That's a beautiful quilt.

Stephanie D said...

I remember seeing that pattern and loving it--it could be used for a memory quilt, too, the centers being the way they are.

I like the quilting in the centers!

Unknown said...

I love your quilt! :) and yes you linked back good! Thanks for sharing .

Anonymous said...

Lovely quilt!

Aimee said...

Really beautiful! I love the quilting. Thanks for sharing!

Anya said...

That's very lovely.

Sandra said...

What a pieceful/peaceful quilt.
Thanks for visiting my antique quilt blog.
And yes, quilt appraising is a very interesting job.

I really like the batik square/rectangle quilt you made for your daughter.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...