Sunday, January 29, 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching

Some assorted slow stitching will take place today.  I do love cross-stitch and there are some beautiful designs out there.  This one comes from Beehive Needleworks and is a pincushion with a separate needlekeep with two of my favorite things, Poinsettias and Pomegranates. I started this years ago and am determined to get it done soon.

Since this photo the bottom border stitching has been "crossed" and I started on the brown basket for the flowers.  I may end up framing this instead of stuffing it.

Also going under the needle will be stitching down the binding for my version of the Star-Crossed quilt from APQ April 2016 mag that I am making for DD Erica.  She has been getting impatient for me to finish.  I was stalled at the quilting stage as the front is a bright cream and the backing is a purple shot cotton with a gold overlay design that I didn't want to have white thread ruin.  Finally yesterday I was able to work out a smoke invisible thread in the bobbin and thicker top thread in white.  I made the final decision to abandon FMQ in favor of simply straight line grid quilting the remainder, having already done so in the chains.
I used the Hera marker to mark all the quilting lines and that worked perfectly.  The binding will go on in a few minutes and I'll get to hand sewing it down on the back.  Hmm, needs a label too!

Linking up with Kathy's Slow Sunday Stitching.

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Beautiful quilt and cross stitch projects

Sarah said...

Your cross stitch is beautiful, such fine work! Love the colour of quilt too.

The Cozy Quilter said...

The end is in sight for your daughter's quilt! Have fun with your hand stitching projects today!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Oh my your cross stitch project is absolutely stunning and enjoy your final stitching on your lovely quilt!

CathieJ said...

I love your cross-stitch. Your quilt is quite pretty also.

Janet O. said...

I think that cross-stitch deserves a frame! It is very pretty!!
Good work on your daughter's quilt. If she becomes too impatient you could offer to let her finish it. : )

Kate said...

Beautiful cross stitch. It really does deserve a frame. Star-Crossed turned out beautifully. Hope you were able to enjoy your slow stitching of the binding.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...