Monday, August 7, 2017

Design Wall Monday--Aug 7

First Monday of August, and it's going to be a busy week, starting with the one month closure of the main road I drive at least four times a day. Sigh. Hoping my alternate route choice isn't too full of re-routed traffic.  

I'm still working on the Cross Reference quilt for my son, but that's only at the borders stage, too boring to show.  So, on my design surface is a guild block challenge.  Last meeting we drew a card with either Animal, Mineral, or Vegetable and were to interpret our card.  I pulled Mineral.  While cleaning off my cutting table (AGAIN), I came across some larger precut squares that were a shop hop giveaway from Picking Daisies, a teensy modern quilt shop in San Luis Obispo, CA.  Anyway, they had a gold print, which sent me to Google to learn if gold is a mineral.  It is!  I wanted to play more with Drunkard's Path blocks, this time with the Mini Quick Curve Ruler.  It produces blocks that finish at 3.5", and you start with oversized squares cut at 5" (or charm squares). 


The blocks are sewn with no pins, then trimmed with the ruler to exact size.  Above was the layout I came up with.  I wanted all the lipsticks to be right side up.  I happily sewed the rows and then used some of the leftover pieces to bring the block up to the required size for challenge blocks, 12.5".  However, after I had cut, sewn, and pressed the added sashing/border, I was surprised to find that my block didn't match my layout. 


How I did all this without noticing, I cannot explain.  I'm liking the unusual shapes the accidental layout produced, so the block stands.  I might try the other layout sometime!

See more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

7 comments:

Janet O. said...

A very glitzy, funky, unique block. Perfect for a modern block challenge! :)

loulee said...

I'm sure there is an imp that comes out when we are not looking and turns things around. So long as you are happy with the new layout, that is all that matters.

Louise said...

I really like the swoopy curve that tool creates. More interesting than the standard drunkard's path block. Perhaps this block is only tipsy, not fully drunk, so it can still engage in witty conversation.

Kate said...

Lots of visual interest in the blocks and the formed shapes. Sometimes accidents are happy.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

It's scary how easy it is to mix up a block - I'm glad(?) it's not just me - LOL - ;))

Sherrill said...

My goofs NEVER turn out good! Yours did! Nice interpretation.

Preeti said...

Love the metallic fabrics. It is amazing how many different variations can be made with these Drunkard's Path blocks. I am glad you kept the block as is. I like it.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...