Friday, April 1, 2011

Beyond the Garden Gate

In record breaking speed, for me, I met another deadline today, completing the Brown Bag Quilt Contest project, from the Sunday Picnic pattern by Heather Mulder Peterson.  I have renamed my version Beyond the Garden Gate.
 
Mini helpfully anchored part of it while I quilted into the wee hours. Thanks, Mini!


K's clamps came in handy for the photo shoot in the backyard.  Thanks again, K!

Sulky 30 wt variegated thread in blue and the recommended 100/16 top stitch needle worked perfectly.  I had not one broken thread or needle the entire time, thankfully, though of course I did run out of bobbin thread several times.

Love the texture of the all over quilting, giant puzzle piece style.

I sort of like the chopped off blocks though that was more through poor planning than intention.  Beyond the Garden Gate will get a label, a bath, and then will be shipped off to Quilts for Japan.  Many thanks to my swap partner, Rhonda, whose stack of blues sent me into this garden party, and thanks to the generous ladies at the Brown Bag Quilt Contest who devoted so much time to this effort.  I've heard there are prizes...and I have joined Flickr. That is a whole 'nother learning curve and I hope I got it right!

7 comments:

Kate said...

A great finish. Sometimes the coolest things happen when you just step out without a plan.

Michele said...

You will enjoy Flickr! Your quilt looks great! What a generous thing to do :-) love the cut off blocks........it is the unexpected in your quilt :-)

*karendianne. said...

Annie, what an amazing work of art. I love it. Very thanks to Mini, too. She's such a good quilty cat. But seriously, back to your quilt. This one really displays your talent quite well. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness Annie...this one is wonderful!!

Rhonda said...

It turned out wonderful Annie. : )

Barb said...

Sooo beautiful!

Vivian said...

Zoom, zoom, zoom! You really did get this one done quickly. Love it! Aren't use-em-up backs just the best?

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...