Man, that is a hard task when there are new projects calling my name! But I have had a Quilts for Kids kit for a shamefully long time and my sewing room workweek's goal was to get it in the mail TODAY. And so I shall, along with a from-stash fraternal twin quilt.
The kit quilt. I added precut 2" scrap bin black/white print corners to the airplane print blocks for a change-up to the basic squares.
Some simple diagonal grid quilting in a variegated blue thread finished it off. Originally I was going to bring the back over to the front and make a self binding but my quilting plan didn't really allow for that as I went off the edges of the quilt but not the edges of the larger backing. Savvy? That left loose ends that would have unraveled the quilting since I neatly clipped off the tails as I went.
This black and white checkerboard from the leftovers pile worked a charm for binding.
Skulls, flames, and stripes make this from-stash quilt pretty lively.
I even pieced the batting from leftovers so incurred no extra costs to fashion this donation quilt. I hope someone's kid likes it as much as I do!
The railroad tracks quilting gave this a nice texture and I would definitely use it again. It was really fun to stitch. The quilting design was from Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Project blog (Day 354). She is currently doing a beginners free motion quiltalong and has some great tutorials. Okay, off to the post office I go. Focus, focus!