Monday, March 19, 2012

Design Wall Monday--Mar 19, 2012

On my design surface today are some more blocks for the Cocoa Baskets quilt (link is to McCall's Quilting, Sept-Oct 2010).  I'm making a smaller version than the magazine calls for, however.  Note that my churn dash block construction differs from the magazine pattern--which to my eye has more of a Shoo-fly look--and I prefer this one with the open center.

The pretty deep green print beneath the completed blocks will become a churn dash, 9 patch and basket block too.   Once at least half the blocks are made I will do a mock up to see what I'd like repeats of.  More low contrast blocks are on the horizon--I really like that green churn dash I just made.  See more design walls on Judy's Patchwork Times

8 comments:

Janet O. said...

I agree--that pattern is using a shoo-fly, and I do love a churn dash. I like your color choices. This is a fun pattern.
Are the baskets all applique or is the base pieced and the handle appliqued? I couldn't really tell from the photo.

julieQ said...

I love those blocks!!! and the fact that you made it your own.

Candace said...

Churn dash is one of my favorite blocks, Annie! I love the colors you chose, too!
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I've always liked these blocks!!

McIrish Annie said...

This is lovely. an old favorite. I applaud your unsewing and your perserverance with the echo quilting. Sounds like it was the thread's fault, not yours! Can't wait to see how your second round goes.

Shay said...

I love that soft green one too...

Unknown said...

Great blocks, love the colors. You always have wonderful blocks going! I envy you!

Dawn said...

Fun blocks - classic and you can play with the colors/fabrics. I love that green on the bottom - very pretty. Thanks for sharing!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...