Trimming and squaring the top seemed to go just fine.
But the border measuring didn't! I decided to go with a narrow 1.5" border of the brown print (thanks for the input Janet and Joy!) and then a wider 5.5" border of the cheddar. MATH again. So there was cutting and adding on to the cheddar border. Then I decided to sew the borders together before attaching. Anyone catching on to what is happening yet? I didn't, at first---I was too busy with the next MATH problem.
Since I cut all the cheddar lengths before deciding to add the narrow border, the top and bottom pieces were then too short once the side borders were attached. So there was more cutting and adding of cheddar. Once the right length, the borders went on easily.
I had no plan to make this large of a quilt, it just happened! Grant is behind this California King-sized monster, trying his best to spread it out for a good photo. The hazard of being empty-nesters is that there is no one to hold up the other end of the quilt :).
The other unplanned result of first sewing the borders together is that the narrow border extends to the edge of the quilt. This is not bothering me in the least so it is staying! These swapped 9 patch blocks were from an online Yahoo group I belong to, Quiltbuddies, and are from at least ten different states and two countries. They have waited patiently for four years to be put in a quilt. This UFO is busted!
September's pick by Judy is #11, which on my list is another swap block project from Quiltbuddies, this time a Christmas theme. I am going to swap that for #4 on my list, which is a Halloween theme.
I have two of these Any Witch Way quilts and last year free-pieced witches' names that need to be added to one. Can't wait to get these finished and ready to use for October!