Friday, January 25, 2013

Ups and Downer

Flitting from project to project results in a mixed bag of things to share.  First, I got the inner borders attached to the modern pinwheel quilt.


 
Inspector Mini approved this stage of the assembly without comment.  I'll be hunting for an outer border fabric tomorrow at the Road to California show.  I'm thinking a larger print of some sort.

It was very slow at the Shoppe today so I got the binding all stitched down on one project.  I settled on  "Toy Sink" as the name for this wall hanging made from leftovers of my Kitchen Sink quilt.  

 
Today I also finished the buttonhole stitching on all the pieces for this wool table mat that has been making the trip to the Shoppe for several weeks.
 
I purchased the Primitive Gatherings kit while in Cincinnati at the International Quilt Festival nearly two years ago.  There were supposed to be small dark squares as a third layer to this design, but when I was working on the buttonhole stitching on the plane ride home, it was so turbulent that I put away the small squares in a baggie and quickly made these giant cross-stitches through each remaining pair of squares.  I used DMC Perle cotton in size 8 in two different greens.  At first I was removing the cross-stitch but then decided I liked how it was even more primitive looking, so let it be.


 
This homespun from the kit has been ironed on and fray-checked per the instructions, then black thread will be added in a buttonhole stitch all the way around.  Nearly done!
 

However, for the Getting it Done challenge, as another downer in the ongoing saga of mistakes with the quilt backing for Judy's Mystery Quilt, I removed the SIDE border instead of the BOTTOM border.  This is what happens when you don't unfold the quilt but instead leave it on the hanger, thinking you have it folded LENGTHWISE, when instead you have it folded CROSSWISE.  Sigh.  But, while there will be some resewing happening, I fortunately didn't cut anything! 

12 comments:

Janet O. said...

"Toy Sink"--I love it, Annie. It is so cute!
That P.G. table mat is gorgeous. You made it uniquely yours and that is a good thing!
What frustration to have unpicked the wrong side of that backing. But, yes, at least you didn't CUT anything!! : )

Marg said...

I love the wool table mat, and the fact that you added your own spin on it with the cross stitch.
Sorry to hear you removed the wrong border. You are not alone in doing that.

Lee said...

Enjoy R2C - I was planning to head that way myself, but other responsibilities await. Your projects are all looking nice - even the 'oops', and Inspector Mini is doing a great job holding down that modern pinwheel quilt.

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

Thank goodness you didn't make any cuts! That's the kind of mistake I make all the time only with the cut thrown in for good measure. The wool project looks terrific. I'm allergic to wool so I will admire from afar.

Kate said...

Wow, you've been really productive. Love the Toy Sink project. It's a very dynamic quilt. The table mat is beautiful. Love the black with all the rich colors in those squares.

Unsewing is never fun. Hope you get it all back on track.

Nicole said...

Toy Sink is adorable. I need to make another topper from that pattern! Wasn't Road to California fun? I went with friends and had a blast!

Quilter Kathy said...

Congrats on the toy sink finish...it's adorable! And the wool project is so cute too...so many fun things to see and do!

Darlene said...

Toy Sink is perfect. So much wonderful eye candy - as usual. You've been a busy bee. Have fun at Road - I'll be there with you in spirit. LOL

Lorraine said...

Love the little Toy Sink quilt......I have several Primitive Gatherings kits languishing in my cupboard....must get them out...or maybe one! Won't get too carried away!

Tanya said...

You are getting so much done! I love that wool quilt. I'd really like to try working in wool someday but I'm afraid to start another section of my fabric stash! I can just see it growing!

Lucky you that you get to go to the Road to California! I wish!!!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Pretty table mat. I was in CA for the Road to CA show but unable to go. So close yet so far. I have never been.

Joyful Quilter said...

You've been busy. Really like your wool table mat with your little twist...very cute.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...