Saturday, June 8, 2013

Jelly Roll Sew-Along

I happened across Aunt Reen's Place Jelly Roll Sew-Along and felt her simple and intriguing setting was a great way to use a jelly roll that's been hanging out in the stash drawer a while (being hoarded is more like it!).

 

My mom and dad brought me back this Civil Warm Homefront jelly roll from Wyoming--even getting the shop owner to sign a copy of the Sampler Magazine for me.  That was two years ago!  But, then I got thinking about getting started on a quilt for a family member's wedding later this year.  Of course, being young folks, I felt a more modern fabric palette was necessary.  Plus I really liked Aunt Reen's choice of batiks.  I remembered some precut batik strips that Mary sent me a few months ago as packing around some Accuquilt dies I bought in her sale. Unfortunately, there were not enough strips for the Sew-Along project, so a shopping trip was necessary.  Poor me, right?

The colors are not quite true in this pic--the cloudy day didn't help--but the loose strips are quite neutral browns and tans.  I chose a Bali Pop that had greens and blues and will mix in just a few of the purples and pinks--don't want to scare away the groom with too many girly colors, you know :)  A length of creamy Moda Marbles for the background and a leftover 1/2 yard of green batik for the binding completes the raw materials.  I'm all set to get cutting and will be using my GO! for the background squares.  I've successfully crosscut strips before and know the cutter will make quick work of the dozens needed.  Looking forward to some piecing time once the next step is posted next week.  Linking up...

8 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

You have some yummy fabrics to work with. I need to buy a jelly roll because I bought a "tool" ruler at quilt market to play with. I am not a quilt tool gal so I hope it all works out.

Kate said...

Fun fabrics. I'm still contemplating that quilt along. But first I've got to finish up the last 2 quilts from May!

Vivian said...

We quilters jump at the chance for an honest have-to-have-more shopping trip, and you had a great excuse. Perfect batiks are always a must for a project.
These fabrics look like a great start. Add your cutter, and away you go. I know we'll see quick results.

Sue said...

Your quilt is going to be gorgeous in these fabric ! Looking forward to watching your progress. I just finished cutting all of my fabric and ready for Wednesday :-D

Janet O. said...

I love the fabrics in both photos. I tried to click for a closer look, but they wouldn't enlarge, so I will just enjoy them from afar! : )

Candace said...

Doreen is having some fun sew-alongs! I love your choice of fabrics and so will the happy couple!! How nice that your parents thought of you in Wyoming, too!
Cheers!

Mary said...

I think this sew along will be fun, and you've picked out some really pretty batiks.

Aunt 'Reen said...

I really like your fabric choices for this quilt! I think the bride AND groom will be very pleased. What a wonderful wedding gift this will be.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...