This poor project I'm calling Caramel Blues has been stuck at about halfway quilted for quite some time. The CW print nine-patches came from a swap of nearly three years ago by Julie K and the pattern is Carefree Romance from AP&Q magazine. Simple hourglass blocks make this a much more complicated looking quilt than it was to construct. The caramel and cream prints came from Temecula Quilt Company. I think the caramel is a Jo Morton print.
I used a walking foot to stitch pumpkin seeds diagonally across each block's center and corner squares with variegated thread, and then cross-hatched the remaining squares. But then I became stuck on what to do in the surrounding triangles formed by the hourglass blocks. I want the nine patches to stand out and not be over powered so my original idea of using the same variegated thread in the cream triangles was ripped out--it was far too distracting and kind of looked dirty on the cream. I did manage to purchase some matching thread some months ago but that was as far as I got.
Out came the sketchbook. I sometimes come up with great ideas while not really thinking too hard, just doodling and playing.
I didn't want to repeat the pumpkin seed but did want some more curves to play off the patchwork.
Hmm, this is coming along.
A full size mock up of the triangle. These are 6" finished blocks so not a lot of area to fill.
Today I wandered over to my LQS and picked up some General Pastel marking pencils and scored a cool tool pencil sharpener for 15% off since it was the tester and the last one. Now for the ITIS part of the quilting process: I'll Try It & See. Future post to come featuring success or failure...cross your fingers for the former!