Sunday, May 25, 2014

Bullseye

Friday after spending some time on cleanup chores around the house, I spent some additional time crawling around on the floor.  But it involved playing with fabric, so I didn't mind :)

I have to back up and say I made one additional raw-edge bullseye block on Thursday night to make an even number of blocks for the layout.  It took longer to find circular items to trace for the different sized rounds than it did to make the block!  I then cut it into quarters.  There was a slight boo-boo in that I just sewed all three rounds on top of each other, whereas the other gifted bullseye blocks had the centers cut out of each layer from the back of the block before adding the next.  I had to finesse that method by trimming very very close to the stitching and pulling the fabric out of the stitching line for each layer.  Thank goodness it was only four quarters to mess with!


My layout is 10x12, which will finish at 40x48" once all the blocks are sewn.  I tried to mix up the blocks as best I could, but with four blocks of each bullseye, it was a little bit harder. I'm loving the diagonal rows. I can imagine starting this with layer cake sized bullseyes for a larger quilt. 


It is surprising how small a stack 120 blocks makes!  Today's sewing tasks include making a bed skirt for a queen sized bed, from a sheet set.  I'll be glad to have that project behind me!  I'm off to iron now...

13 comments:

Kate said...

Love this quilt! The diagonal layout is really cool.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I've not see a setting like this. Cool. I did a couple of bullseye quilts in the late 90s. Then I did squares instead of circles. Love the warm colors. Enjoy your holiday.

Shay said...

It's fabulous Annie - and looking so interesting and different.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend- it's a long one there isn't it?

Chantal said...

Oh I love your setting! It makes a very interesting pattern! Like waves across a pond or something. Oh I just might have to copy this quilt someday. LOL. Just lovely!!

Anonymous said...

Tell me if I remember correctly...background squares cut 9"? I remember how those circles were made...you should have asked! 4",6",8" squares fold in half, half again and cut into a circle shape.

carol fun said...

Oh Annie - this is such a striking quilt! Love it! Hope you had some fun in your sewing room today.

Janet O. said...

I think this is the best use of Bulls-Eye blocks I have seen. I love this setting. Nice job, Annie!

Angie in SoCal said...

Oh, I love how you laid these out. I'm made one bullseye quilt - mine had flowers in the middle made from leftovers from the backs of those blocks. Makes me want to make another set of bullseyes to set as you have. Thanks for sharing, Annie!

Lindah said...

This is a really nice design and layout.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Love, love, love this quilt and your layout! I remember helping my Mom with one of these bulls eye quilts years ago... I may just have to resurrect this idea and run with it myself... well done! :)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Love, love, love this quilt and your layout! I remember helping my Mom with one of these bulls eye quilts years ago... I may just have to resurrect this idea and run with it myself... well done! :)

Sarah said...

I love the concept of this quilt. It looks great laid out in diagonal lines. I guess there would be many configurations you could make up with the quarters, kinda like half square triangles.

Josie said...

Just scrolling through your oh so enjoyable website I stumbled upon your bull's eye designs. So much fun. I made a gargantuan one years ago out of SQUARES, alternatingly stacking homespuns and calicos. It is my husband's absolute favorie of all the quilts I ever made....... I am totally inspired to revitalize these dlocks into my repertoire in an effort to lessen my stash (Ha, dream on!) A good Covid19 goal, right??

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...