Monday, July 13, 2015

Design Wall Monday--July 13, 2015

On my design surface is the ongoing comfort quilt project for our neighbor's son who has cancer.  I now have a finished top to show:


About that one red block...



I like my quilts to have a "heart", where all the extra love and good wishes lay right over the recipient's heart when they draw the quilt over them. I've done this for a lot of quilts and people seem to like it. 

I've got the flannel for the backing all ironed and need to do just a bit of math to figure out the best way to piece the backing.  Have you ever seen a fabric fray in swags like this?  I thought it amusing.  I'll take the top to my guild meeting Monday night.  I'm also going to pick up my witches quilt which has now been professionally quilted.  Can't wait to see what it looks like!

Other progress on the second and third quilts in progress include deboning about 13 shirts from my brother-in-law's closet, and cutting a bunch of background squares and print squares for the Bullseye top remodel for my brother.  I need to sew faster!

See more Design Walls on Judy's Patchwork Times.


10 comments:

Ramona said...

I love your "heart" over the heart of the recipient. How wonderful. This design is great and I love the greens. What a special quilt!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful quilts and wonderful of you to make for someone fighting cancer

Janet O. said...

Love the "heart" idea for your quilts. Very sweet.
Taking apart shirts is quite a process for me, regardless of what Bonnie Hunter says. But I love quilts from shirts!

Shay said...

Your idea for adding in a heart is beautiful and so creative. That backing fabric is perfect too. Love this quilt and all the love you've sewn into it .

Libby said...

Wonderful! Love the heart of the quilt. What a special and healing gift from you hands and heart.

Libby said...

Wonderful! Love the heart of the quilt. What a special and healing gift from you hands and heart.

Joyful Quilter said...

Love the red block! You're braver than I using a stripe for the back. I always worry directional fabrics will end up wonky when I quilt it.

Mary said...

What a touching gesture with the heart! I hope your neighbor's son does well.

Kate said...

I like your "heart" idea, it really adds a nice zing to the quilt.

I think we all wish we could stitch faster. But those of us who still work full time probably have to wait for retirement for much improvement on that front. At least it gives us something to look forward too.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

That is a striking, graphic quilt. I am touched to read of you adding "heart" to your quilts, directly from yours to his; what a lovely addition to an already incredible gift. I shall lift him up in prayer. Hugs to you~

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...