Sunbonnet Sue Goes to the Orient was almost stuffed back in her box for a time out last night. It wasn't really her fault, though, it was MATH. I carefully cut the the center appliqued portion to size for my border panels. Alarms began to ring when I needed to ease excess while attaching the top border section. That looked horrible. I then tried taking up a small amount of the block HST seam allowances in the bottom border section. Even worse looking! Finally I took the sections apart and remeasured. Merde--no seam allowance on the width of the applique center. Sigh.
Brainstorming, I decided to add a coping strip, and chose black fabric after auditioning the green and orange. The MATH for this twisted my late-night brain. I had to rip out the coping strip on one side THREE times and recut a new strip eventually, but finally saved Sue from the time out box, where she surely would have remained for an eon.
I'm quite fond of the coping strips, now that they have been beaten into submission. Sue almost looks like she is in a doorway. If I were more artistic, I could sketch in a scene behind her. I'll ponder that idea while I choose a backing and quilting design. Only a couple more days of the month to get this finished for the UFO Challenge.