Sunday, December 29, 2019

Lucky Quilt Finished

Two years ago I designed a word phrase quilt using the Simple Shapes Alphabet by Laura Hartrich. I cut and sewed all of the letters while at my first Sewtopia in New Orleans, using Drunkard's Path templates by Jen Carlton Baily.  The top was finished soon after returning home, but remained only a top until last month, despite being on two UFO lists!  Finally I got a backing and binding picked out and my sister quilted it on her longarm machine.  It has sat a month waiting for me to sew up some missed spots when attaching the binding, which I accomplished today.  Finished at last!  My husband held it up for pics today in the backyard. 


So happy with the quilting design and texture it gives the quilt. At Superbuzzy, I chose a solid Kona Berry for the binding, and found a great print for the backing--on sale!

All the colors of the quilt top seemed to be here...

..with my favorite--tea--as the theme.   I love this Cream and Sugar, Tea for Two Windham fabric and have lots of cutoffs from the quilt to play with later. I'm thinking a hot pad or mitt would be really fun and I have plenty of InsulBrite. 

I got a  photo of my Camellia bloom this year.  Our avocado tree is loaded with fruit as well--I counted 19 avocados just on one half of our dwarf tree.  It is not likely we will get freezing weather in our area, but we watch for it just the same--lows are predicted in the 40s this week.  Many many acres nearby are planted in strawberries, citrus, and nursery stock and frost and rain are dreaded around here!  There is still snow in the nearby mountains and our grandsons got to play in it today when their parents took them to Rose Valley in the Los Padres National Forest, about an hour's drive. 
 

 Their first snowman!  They had a great time playing. 

 I did a lot more sewing today and will show that tomorrow for Design Wall Monday. 


4 comments:

Kathy S. said...

Adorable photo of the boys and their snowman! The quilt caught my eye as well. Great backing fabric. Happy new year!

loulee said...

What a beautiful boldly coloured quilt.
Wishing you all the very best for 2020.

Barb said...

Wonderful Word Quilt! love it.
what cute cute boys.
happy 2020

Kate said...

Congrats on the finish, it's a very fun quilt. How fun to play in the snow. It's been above normal here in temps, so no snow for us this year (also no ice, which has been really, really nice).

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...