Sunday, January 5, 2020

Sewing Room Play and Plans

There was lots of repacking of bins and boxes and the de-Christmas-ing of the house this weekend, taking down the tree.  I also spent some time in the sewing room cleaning up the cutting table and getting boxes and bins reordered.  One mystery bag in the piles turned out to be a set of blocks I'd forgotten about. 

I had sewn the mini charm squares and blocks at a guild sew-in some weeks back.  I looked up the pattern on the allpeoplequilt website to get the layout directions.  This is called Make the Connection, a free quilt pattern for charity sewing, by Jo Kramer and daughter Kelly of Jo's Country Junction; it  uses precuts and yardage. It was a fun sew and I look forward to getting the blocks together--they were just stacked and labeled. Narrow borders will be added to complete the top.

At Sewtopia I had been door-prize gifted with a darling Christmas fat quarter collection and intended to make a Meadowland Quilt with it.  What did I just learn but that Meghan of Then Came June is having a Meadowland QAL next month!  I signed up and had to fan out the fat quarters and play. 

This is We Whisk You a Merry Christmas by Maywood Studios.  I decided to make the throw size that requires 16 blocks/fat quarters. I've left out the odd pink and one of the green prints.


The bundle's light fabrics I initially considered for all the background squares, but decided that would be too busy and I will just use a solid white for the corners.


 My center squares will be this adorable print. though.  Very excited to join in and use what I have!

I also finished this Gingiber stitchery my daughter gave me a couple of years ago--I've only picked it up now and again.   Lots of satin stitching for the scarf but otherwise very simple back stitch and straight stitch for the little speckles.  It was really fun to stitch and so cute. I may finish it in the hoop or perhaps made a pillow cover from some Gingiber fabrics I have. 

My 40 star blocks for Barb's swap got mailed off on Thursday.  Looking forward to seeing all the other yummy repro  print stars I receive back, hopefully in a couple of weeks.

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

Hi Annie! It seems an age since I caught up with you and others in blogland! Lovely to see your projects as always! I hope to spend a little more time blogging, reading blogs, stitching and whatever else comes my way since I have now retired from full time work! Did not think the day would ever come, but it did and I am slowly adjusting to life out of the workforce!

Janet O. said...

That looks like a nice, comparatively quick donation quilt to make. I like how some of the little squares highlight the words "hope", "home", "live", "laugh", etc.
That is an adorable line of fabric you won. Look forward to seeing the quilt that you create with it.
Can't believe all the satin stitch on that bear! You did a beautiful job of it!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...