Friday, July 24, 2020

Finally Friday--with Finishes

Some weeks just crawl....I was very impatient with work duties this week, probably due to being grumpy about having to do a self-review of my performance and a goal setting exercise for work.  Honestly, at this stage in my career, I am not interested in starting a management position so my goals are just to get better at maneuvering in our new electronic health record system and see if I can be retired in a few more years!  I am a good employee, tho, covering shifts and willing to work with different practitioners at other offices when I can.   Of course, currently the only traveling I do is from our upstairs home office to the downstairs sewing room or dining room :)

There was enough downtime between patients this week that stitching was often possible, even quilting.


These two doll quilts got quilted and bound.  I used up some saved leftover binding pieces too.  Very simple in the ditch quilting for both.  My sister stopped by and snatched up the four patch one, but I've got plenty more of those four patch pieces to make another doll quilt for Guild donation.


The 30s print got a vintage piece of fabric for backing--the color is poor in the shot but it's a pretty blue. you can barely see how I quilted around the heart shape.  The yellow and black binding was leftover from a banner sewn for daughter Elaine's bridal shower 9 years ago!  Glad some of it got used up. 

Another languishing tablerunner was also finished.  A collection of shot cottons and leftover Essex Linen were combined to make a shortened version of the Scrap Lab Design Challenge tablerunner by Susan Ache in the Fall 2019 Quilts & More magazine.  A lot of different stash choices were pulled for binding options;  I had nearly given up when the ochre print from the fat quarter drawers suited best. I thought it was very Mid Century Modern in colorway and that DD Elaine would like it--and she did-- but thought it would not match her current very neutral color scheme and passed.  So now it is on our coffee table after being washed and dried. 



Mini gave it a good going over before it went through the washing and drying process. 


The back is pretty neutral.  I like making double sided tablerunners and placemats. 

Binding was also sewn together for  the Dreamweaver quilt and I attached it today.  It needs a label and a bath and then will finally go home with our son and daughter in law--after a year in process.  Looking back to July 2019, I was purchasing fabrics for the quilt and getting ready to cut 520 background squares!   Pics of the finish next time...

6 comments:

Barb said...

Wow so many great little finishes. I love the mixed binding :)
that four patch make me smile. I love those little blocks.

julieQ said...

What very cute dollie quilts! So much fun! I too am so over the goal setting and review of my performance nonsense...if I am not doing something right, just tell me and I will correct it! Otherwise, let's just carry on. WE have to do it every month now!

Loris said...

It is fun to see you using up all these scraps. The doll quilts will be cherished. And your table runner is lovely! The colors in the shot cottons and linen make a beautiful combination.
Interesting to look back at your Dreamweaver beginning! Impressive that you were able to complete it with all your other projects and this weird year of work as well. I hope you can come up with something to fill in those admin questions. Healthcare work is mostly meaningful for the human connection which is a bit tough these days!

Loris said...

P.S. Mini makes for a sweet and beautiful quilt model :-)

Quilter Kathy said...

Such fun finishes... congratulations!
I totally get what you're saying about goal setting at work... how about we just try to survive... could that be a goal? LOL

Tanya said...

Mini is doing a great job of watching over your table runner! Cute pics!

How nice to be able to carve out time from your work to do a little sewing every now and then. That sounds like a very nice work set-up to me!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...