Monday, March 20, 2023

Design Wall Monday--Bookshelf Quilt, More Additions and Decisions

Design Wall Monday--See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog. 

I'm continuing to plug away on the bookshelf quilt for my niece, Emma.  I had assembled three shelves' worth of books, but this left the quilt top too small to be more than a wall quilt.  I already had plans to add a cornice to the top and feet to the bottom, and while looking around Pinterest, found a quilt with another feature to add, bottom drawers.  


I sketched out a plan and began pulling options from stash, finally settling on a compatible brown and black textured fabric. 

A bit of glam with a thin stripe of gold fabric a mock-up of some drawer handles were added to the design wall.  After looking at it some more, I trimmed down the depth of the drawers and then stitched the strip to the rest of the quilt.  

This daylight pic shows the color of the drawers better. The sides of the bookshelf now added, it looks more like a proper piece of furniture :)  The strips on the top are temporary--I will cut the correct size piece lengthwise from the solid brown to avoid seams. 

I then auditioned a number of fabrics for the border "wall" the bookshelf will be standing against.  Many fabrics were pulled from stash and I finally settled on a contrasting cream and black print that will look like wallpaper. It is from an antique reproduction line called Carmen, by Nancy Gere for Windham Fabrics.  Naturally I did not have enough fabric and have ordered more.  Lots more cutting and  sewing until this quilt top is finished, but I may actually meet the month-end deadline if the fabric gets here quick enough!  I am thinking of a solid black for the binding, but I will wait to cut that after the quilt center is complete.  

7 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my gosh - this is so great - its so creative!!!

time4stitchn said...

Darn, having to order more fabric. I recognize that quandry. Hopefully, something fun found its way into your cart to brighten your day and increase your stash. I love the evolving book shelf quilt. And hopefully, you are not having the mud slides from the melting snow on the mountains.

Janet O. said...

Excellent choices--the additions to the bookshelf, the wallpaper-like fabric. It really polishes the whole thing off nicely!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

your bookshelf is awesome!

Bonnie said...

You are doing a wonderful job on your bookshelf. Love the addition of the drawers. Hope you can get the top finished this month.

Stephanie D said...

Love this!

Tanya said...

Drawers are going to be a great addition!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...