Monday, September 5, 2016

Design Wall Monday--Labor Day

Happy Labor Day!  I hope to spend plenty of time stitching today while my boss pays me :)  On my design floor today is a new baby quilt from leftovers.  

Some of these flying geese are from grandson Cove's baby quilt.  Other prints are leftovers from another baby quilt I made for one of DD Elaine's friends.  The layout I found on Pinterest but cannot give credit or find the pattern as the link dead ended in a bad site with a warning!   But it is simple enough-- the blocks will all be sashed on the left side with a white on white print, then every other block is turned. I drafted it out on graph paper and made a bunch more Fast Geese.














Pairs of flying geese are topped with a third goose in a different pattern.  This is the first go at layout, trying to get the darks evenly distributed. 

I added all the single geese to the pairs but it needed tweaking.  I pulled them apart to simulate the sashing and played switcheroo a bit more. 

I'm liking it so far!  Nearly all of these fabrics came from the Superbuzzy store, which celebrated its 10th anniversary last weekend with a big sale.  The line was very long at the cutting table but my sister and I managed to find some things to buy that didn't need to be cut.  Kathy's now on a jelly roll rampage :) 

I'm off to attach all those single geese to their pairs.

See more Design Walls on Judy's Patchwork Times

7 comments:

Kat said...

I love flying geese! These are going great places.

Quilter Kathy said...

This is a fun scrappy looking quilt! And I love to sew flying geese blocks!

Janet O. said...

A very clever design. I never cease to be amazed at all of the different ways you can set traditional blocks!

Joyful Quilter said...

Very cute design. Great way to use up left over scraps.

Kalicocreations said...

This is going to be a very pretty quilt and it looks like you are enjoying the process.
Terry

Kate said...

A fun set of blocks and the layout is really cool. Great way to use up those left overs.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I agree - this is a very clever design. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...