Thursday, June 22, 2017

Cross Reference and Cross Stitch

Blocks are getting sewn for Cross Reference and while I like the way they look....

...each 9" unfinished block has 31 pieces--gulp!  I'm developing an assembly line method and trying to sew a block in about 20 minutes.  My plan includes 24 blocks so quite a number of hours of stitching are left for these "A" blocks.  The "B" alternate blocks will be much simpler with only the center cross and some sashing, but I will choose a solid blue for those blocks per the pattern (APQ mag April 2017). 

Regarding cross-stitch, I visited a new-to-me needlework shop that I wish was in my city and not 25 minutes away, but the traffic wasn't bad today.  I was in search of Lizzie Kate cross-stitch patterns and a source for floss and found both at A Thread Garden and Beadtime.  The owner, Michele', was very helpful and fun to chat with.   I left with great information, some beautiful floss and patterns.  She has open sew hours during the weekdays, and perhaps sometime I'll be able to join in. 


The cast acrylic black and ivory needle keeper she gave me as a gift--among many to choose from, I was captivated by the octopus. I will enjoy stitching this little Lizzie Kate pattern with yummy hand dyed threads.  The shop carries multiple cotton as well as silk lines of floss.

The Christmas patterns were just as irresistible and I had a hard time choosing.  The "Mistletoe Testing Here!" phrase pushed this chart to the top. I'll look forward to stitching these.  Supporting local craft businesses is important to me and I'll definitely be back to A Thread Garden.

10 comments:

Joyful Quilter said...

Well, if it is any consolation the blocks are wonderful. I can't wait to see the rest of the quilt. Sigh...I miss cross stitching. Those look like fun little projects.

Karen said...

I like the Cross Reference blocks a lot. I have to file that idea away.

carol fun said...

The quilt blocks are looking good...and your selection of Lizzie Kate charts is wonderful... I do love her style and the little charts stitch up fast for some almost instant gratification!

Janet O. said...

I really like the blocks you are making. They do look a little challenging.
Fun little cross-stitch projects. I keep telling myself I will do cross-stitch again someday, but so far it hasn't happened. By the time I get around to it, I will probably be too blind. : )

Sherrill said...

I think I have that magazine and that was one of the projects I really liked (think it was pinks and reds?). But if I remember correctly, another was at the top of the list. Will see if I get to either of them but yours is really looking beautiful--it will be worth it!

Barb said...

Our local quilt store just went out of business....

Love your blocks

Quilter Kathy said...

That will be a terrific quilt with the cross blocks!
Enjoy your cross stitch!

Kaja said...

Great cross blocks, though they sound fiddly. At least you have got a system going to work your way through them.

The Cozy Quilter said...

The cross blocks look great, even if they do take some time to make! It's always fun to find patterns you love.

Mary said...

I love it when I discover new stores specializing in my favorite hobbies. We live in a very small town and most of my shopping ends up being done online.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...