Monday, July 31, 2017

Design Wall Monday--last of July

On my design floor is the Cross Reference quilt I've repeatedly shown before (APQ Magazine April 2017).  I trimmed the last five blocks to size and finally got to the layout portion of this process. 

First go, with the rust blocks all lined up.  Son Nick wanted the blocks to be random, after I sent him a photo, so switcheroo took place and a couple more swaps of the blue cross blocks. 

I nearly gave myself a heart attack when sewing up the rows and laying them back down on the floor, thinking I was short a block!  But then I realized I had to add a corner triangle.  Thank goodness for cellphone pics documenting the layout to help with brainless moments. Once again, I will differ with the magazine's categorization of this as a "Beginner" quilt--there were 320 points to avoid cutting off while joining the rows in my smaller version than the magazine pattern.  No WAY would I have attempted this as a beginner!  As it was, I tried to keep the cut off points to below a third (cough).  Next I'll need to cut the three borders and attach them.  I've no firm ideas on how to quilt this yet, but they will come.  

See more Design Walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

8 comments:

Janet O. said...

It is a beautiful (non-beginner) quilt, and I think the choice of random placement of the rust blocks is great! My goodness, you cut off less than 1/3 of the points? You are definitely NOT a beginner!! I would have managed to make at least half of them disappear.

Kathy S. said...

I like the random arrangement also. Great job.

Sherrill said...

I think it's BEAUTIFUL! I know your son will love it! I did a wild goose chase quilt before I 'knew what I was doing' and was so glad I didn't have a clue. Don't think it ever would've been made! Sometimes when quilting, it's better to be a little dopey. HA

Louise said...

Definitely not for beginners! This quilt is really coming together and looking great! Part of me wants to try this pattern, but another, smarter part, is saying, "Just enjoy Annie's efforts..."

Kate said...

On point settings are definitely not a novice undertaking. The quilt looks great. Congrats on all the progress.

carol fun said...

A very handsome quilt but by no means a "beginner" project... you've done a great job on this one... I love the graphic quality of those blocks. Have a great week!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is coming along so great! I like the random layout too!

loulee said...

Your DS is right. I love the final layout. Not sure I would have tackled that as a beginner either. So you'll be quilting it soon?

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...