Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Grandma

Yo-yo Feedsack quilt by my Grandma
Our family had sad news this week as my dad's mom passed away shortly after midnight, October 15, 2009, after suffering from bouts of atrial fibrillation and gastric distress the last week or so. Her heart finally gave out. She was 92 years old. My dad is her eldest child, I am her eldest granddaughter, and my son Nick her eldest great-grandson. My beloved Grandma was a wonderful woman who never lost her sense of humor despite many difficulties throughout her life. She never set out to have a bad time and enjoyed meeting new people and going new places. Grandma loved loved simple things and most of all having her family around her. Now she will be laid to rest next to her husband, to whom she was married 50 and 1/2 years and whom she outlived by 22 years. We will all miss her so much.

This quilt's label says "Made 1934. Tied 1997" and is one of my most treasured items. It came to me after Grandma moved to a care home for dementia sufferers. How's that for keeping a UFO for a long time?

9 comments:

loulee said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Grandmother just a couple of months ago, she was off similar age. It's wonderful that you have your grandmothers quilt.

Nancy said...

May this quilt continue to remind you of your Grandmother and all the wonderful memories that you shared.

*karendianne. said...

Ahh, Annie. My heart reaches out to you with much love for the loss of your grandmother. And it reaches out to you with Honor so that you might know I personally Respect and Honor the great gift she was to you and what she left to your treasured heart and hands.

Julie said...

Oh very sad news. What a beautiful piece of work she has left you. I'm sure she would be happy knowing how much you will treasure it always.

jovaliquilts said...

My sympathies on the loss of your grandmother. How lucky you are to have a quilt top she pieced! I hope you have happy thoughts of her every time you use it.

Stephanie D said...

I'm so sorry to read about your grandmother, Annie. But it's good you have something so precious to connect you two even more.

Tanya said...

So nice for you to have wonderful memories of your grandmother. The quilt is wonderful! Such a lot of work. It will speak of her for generations and generations.

Stitched With Prayer said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. There is just something so special about grandmas, I lost mine many years ago (both of them) but they still linger in my mind whenever I look at the doilies they gave me when I was younger (and have them all around my house so I see them every day), or the beautiful little crocheted Turtle that held a bar of "Sweetheart" Soap (remember that?) to display prettily in your bathroom. I'm so glad you have this beautiful quilt to treasure and remember her by. I'm certain there are more memories than there are ties on the quilt and each of them is dear to your heart. God Bless and Keep.

Vivian said...

The things that you've written about your grandmother show what a very special person she was and how important she was to you. I'm sorry for your loss. Grandmothers have such unique places on our hearts.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...