Sunday, May 2, 2010

Final chapter of the zig zag quilt

May Day found me putting the last of the quilting stitches into the zigzag quilt.  I had a few "aha" moments with this project.  The first was during the quilting stage, when I thought about the description that Leah Day of 365 Days of Free Motion Quilting gives for her samples, describing them as either fillers or edge to edge designs.  So instead of starting in the middle with my free motion (totally unoriginal giant stipple), I started at one end and stitched edge to edge in rows across the quilt.  This was so much easier than struggling with a pile of quilt surrounding my needle, trying to decide which direction to go next and dislodging my platform.  That led to my next "aha" moment, unfortunately when I was already 3/4 through with the quilting.  See my foot pedal?
 I have a square of gripper fabric to keep it from moving around on the carpet.  It occurred to me that a little square under each leg of the platform would keep it from sliding around on the desk.
I'm not sure why I didn't think of that years ago, but it worked very well.   I also tried a hint I read on Kim Brackett's blog for testing out stitching designs by using the excess backing/batting on the edge of the quilt sandwich.  I have always been scrounging around for scraps big enough to test on and this provides two of the layers ready made.  I just plopped a leftover that didn't make it into the backing and tested out my free motion foot and thread. Later this was simply cut off when I trimmed after applying the binding.  Clever, no?

My work on Saturday of finishing the quilting, making and applying the binding and adding a label was just in time to get ready for the wedding of the secretly intended owners of said quilt all along, my dear friend Tanya and her new husband. 

 I put nearly everything I could into the backing to make it the right size.  I think I have enough fabric leftover to maybe make a potholder!  Congratulations to the happy couple and I hope they like the quilt and use it often. (Thanks go to my quilt holder for doing a great job on a windy afternoon!) 

7 comments:

Shay said...

There will come a day Annie when I can free motion as beautifully as you have here, but I suspect that day is a way off yet.

This quilt turned out so beautifully that i'm sure the recipients will have years of snuggling and cuddling and fond memories of your amazing work and generosity.

Now you've done this quilt I suspect Miss E will be standing over you with a whip making sure her quilt is next.

Anonymous said...

Job well done you!!

Nanette Merrill said...

Love the zig zag. I have a couple quilts where I used a zig zag and I loved it. You've got a great set-up there for sewing. Smart.

Unknown said...

The zig zag is really nice, the back is wonderful too. I think this could be used on either side.

Love the idea of something under the foot pedal - mine is always slipping!

Vivian said...

Well done! The quilt looks great, and I adore the back. It's definitely a reversible gift.
I get such a sense of self satisfaction when I quilt my own, and it looks like you enjoyed it too.

Browndirtcottage said...

YEAH!!! A finish!!! This turned out great and I especially love the scrappy back!
Great tips on the 'gripper' stuff! My foot is always sliding around the carpet too...I find it sliding forward to the point I finally realize I am pushing it down with my toes!!

Tanya said...

Ooh.. I wish I had a platform like that... Great idea for the machine foot. I'll have to try that.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...