Monday, October 11, 2010

Design Wall Monday--Oct 11, 2010

There is no piecing happening at my house but there is still quilting to do.  On my Design Door today is the Bowtie Quilt for my brother's 50th birthday.  I now have less than two weeks to finish up this project and have reached the quilting stage.  While I plan to do some simple crosshatching in the top and bottom pieced borders and the four patches, and probably stitch in the ditch around the bowties, the empty spaces between seem to call for a motif. 


My mind is a blank. 

Maybe I'll just crosshatch the whole thing and call it done!

This is the backing--a line from Moda called Tom and Huck, with just a few lines from Huckleberry Finn.  Being a WORDS kind of girl, it struck my fancy and had the right colors.

While not exactly Fall colored, Mini does have some orange on her and fits into the tableau on the lawyer's bookcase.  Plus she likes it up there.   Go to Judy's blog to see the other Design Walls this Monday.

P.S.  Yes, that's a Darth Vader Mr. Potatohead

18 comments:

Chris said...

I love the backing! Cross hatching will look good on the quilt since there are so many straight lines.

Vicki H. said...

What a wonderful gift for your brother!! Cross hatching is so cool but I have trouble keeping my lines straight!!! What about baptist fans or my old standby stippling!! Cross hatching would be fab but I am so afraid of straight line stitching unless I do it by hand. Your doing it by machine, right? Two weeks?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

Crosshatching?! WOWZERS....two weeks? Double WOWZERS!

Karen said...

I really like the pumpkin quilt with the stars on the top part. Very prim style.

Shay said...

You go Annie! Two weeks to go and you'll breeze it in.

I love the backing.

Happy Quilter said...

Love the Huck Finn fabric--have never seen it.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Great bow tie quilt and the perfect backing. A really great guy quilt. I made a signature bow tie quilt for my father's 80th birthday. He's now 91. :o)

Quilter Kathy said...

You are way ahead of schedule...you still have 2 weeks for the quilting! Love your "design door"!!

Barb in Mi said...

You can do it! 2 weeks count down is on. Looks like a great guy quilt - and the backing is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

What a great quilt for a man - and that backing fabric is super.

Vivian said...

Is the Huck Finn fabric a really old line? I'm not familiar with it, but being a words girl myself, I'll be on the lookout for it, if there's any hope.
Your brother will love the quilt. You're a good sister.

Joyful Quilter said...

Mini looks like the perfect Fall decoration. How good are you at free motion? How about quilting in bow ties in the open space?

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Loving the quilt, it will look great crosshatched!

Hi, Mini, you are beautiful!

Marg said...

Love the quilt and I agree, cross hatched will look great. I really like the backing.

Angie in SoCal said...

I go through my quiltmaker mags to find center motifs and then use freezer paper to quilt them on fast. But the cross hatching will be great too. I like it!

Teaquilts said...

Great gift for your brother. Your backing is so interesting that he could be entertained looking at the front as well as the back. I know you'll make your deadline but also enjoy the process.

Nanette Merrill said...

What a fantastic 50th birthday gift. A keepsake to be sure. It is delightful.

Browndirtcottage said...

This is just a Fabulous gift girl....ok...here is my O-pine on the quilting....stipple would be faster.....cross hatch I LOVE....if you do them fairly close your 'blank' spaces would look amazing...but that takes longer....OR you could do straight line quilting...no measure...just do tons and tons of straight lines and let them be sort of free spirit. Go to Sew Picture Perfect blog...she has a post showing different straight line quilting quilts!!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...