Sunday, October 10, 2010

Second Chance

I spent part of this afternoon crawling around the floor with my mom at their house, pinning my brother's bowtie quilt.  It is always amazing how heavy the quilt sandwich is once all the layers are pinned.  Some of that is pin weight, some of that is the excess fabric, but I love the heft!  Speaking of my mom, last week she called to let me know that the Tuesday Morning shop had some fabric and sewing items, including fat quarters and "that thing that looks like a pinwheel out of  fabric".  It took me a minute to realize she meant a jelly roll.  So I took myself over to the shop after work and perused the merchandise.  Some of it was name brand--mostly the tools and accessories, but the jelly roll was labeled as "Stripz".
You can't really read it in the photo but it said the fabric was made in Pakistan.  Though not a true jelly roll, there were 48 strips of  5or 6 different bug print fabrics totaling about 3.5 yards, for $14.99.

The 12 pack of solid color fat quarters was labeled as "a product of China, USA, Pakistan, Korea or India".  Apparently this is well traveled stuff.  It was $7.99 (or 67 cents each).  The quality of the fat quarter stack was a bit better than the jelly roll.  I also bought three packages of sewing machine needles by the EZ brand for $.99.  Yes, that is 12 needles for .99.  Lastly, an Easy Square Jr. ruler for $1.99.  Thanks for the hint, Mom!

* The Second Chance refers to hitting the 10/10/10 10:10 mark.  I outsmarted myself to prepost at the exact time!

5 comments:

Barb said...

You sure got some good deals, lucky you!

Shay said...

Aside from the great deals you totally rock at posting at 10.10PM on 10.10.10.

Congratulations!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

10's abound... aren't you a smart one? Love the bargains you scored, can't wait to see the Bow Tie quilt.

Nanette Merrill said...

Incredible deal. I'm interested to see what is inside that jelly roll.

Banaghaisge said...

Aggghhhhh, I cannot believe those prices (from here where quilt material is between $20 and $30/metre) even though Aussie dollar has just about reached parity (one newspaper typoed it as 'parody' last week!!!!!) and that means PERHAPS that material will get cheaper... (prob not money grabbing bastards).
Why don't you spray baste? Is magic way to go, shall give you online lesson if you need it.
And well done on your 10.10.10 at 10.10. I forgot to get started early enough for the post to get there on time (and cos I work on a 24 hour clock I just didnt think I could post at 10.10 PM. Sigh)

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...