Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Quilt Shop Visit

Though our visit to the Temecula Quilt Company quilt shop was short, less than an hour, it was definitely worth the drive.  My mom and SIL Laura, who accompanied me, agreed.  I wished we had had just a bit more time but due to circumstances beyond my control and the fact that the shop closes at 4 PM on Saturdays, it was what it was!  

This mini bowtie quilt was the first thing I took a photo of, naturally!  Those are probably 3" finished squares.  My SIL Laura liked the "bricks" mini behind it.

Several finished larger sized quilts were hanging on a rod.  My mom said this tumbler quilt looked like little A-line skirts.

Fun seasonal display with yet more wonderful mini quilts.

Quilts were displayed charmingly everywhere (poor photo due to failure to flash!).  Surprisingly, bolts probably numbered in the hundreds and she carried only Civil War/1800's era reproductions.  None of the bolts had prices, so I asked.  Everything was one price, a very reasonable $8.95 per yard. 

The lower quilt displayed here was featured on the front of Quilt Sampler magazine in 2009.  It was the reason I wanted to visit the shop--just loved the whole quilt from the colors to the snowballs and baskets, and houses in two sizes. Totally charming.

Another stunning display.  Sheryl, the owner, was gracious and warm, chatting as she helped us shop until closing time!

Look at this wonderful canopied doll bed with mini quilts piled on and mini houses behind. 

I especially liked the mini quilts wrapped around antique spindles and placed in this box.  What a great eye for design Sheryl has.  She told us she sewed almost all of the shop samples. 

I confirmed that she made this example and Sheryl told me it was a "Dear Jan", as she called it done without making the complicated border, so it was not quite a "Jane"!  Too funny. 

 I definitely recommend visiting the shop either in person or through the website--the blog link is there as well and a recent post from September has great pictures of her lovely home, which looks a lot like her shop displays. 

Last night I spent some time with MATH and then started cutting the caramel and cream fabrics for the blue and brown 9 patches.  See any problem with my cutting?  That blasted Operator Error is at fault again!  Luckily too big is fixable whereas too small often isn't.  I'm off to sew hourglasses and flying geese.  I've already marked my squares for that second line of sewing for some bonus triangles to play with later.

7 comments:

Shay said...

Did you think you'd died and gone to heaven when you stepped inside that store Annie?Definately lots of your favourite colours there! Some of those quilts are just so beautiful.

Oops @ the blocks. I have several quilts that have been much smaller than intended due to operator error!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a lovely store! Thanks for showing us around!
I'm so happy that you are starting on the alternate blocks for the 9 patch quilt...can't wait to see what it looks like!

Lori said...

It looks like a wonderful shop! I like the idea of wrapping little quilts around bobbins. I would never think of that.

Darlene said...

Thank you for sharing your visit to The Temecula Quilt Co - it's a delightful shop.

*karendianne. said...

How fun and thanks for sharing all the goodness. Your mom is so great seeing the "A line" skirts. How fun she is.

Vivian said...

I'm glad the shop let you take photos so you could share their wonderful displays.
Have you seen Bonnie Hunter's blog (Quiltville Quips) today? She was at a retreat and shared a lady's fabulous Q made with 2" bowties. Maybe your next project?
Love those bonus triangles to play with later.

Tanya said...

Temecula...Temecula... I think I've been through there... What a neat little shop. I'll have to put it on my to do summer list.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...