Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tuesday's Orts--Nov 30, 2010

This week's Orts brought to you by the final November post.  Only 31 more days in this year, wow.
  • Across the country, millions of pounds of uneaten turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce and other leftovers are landing in the dump.  I don't think any of that is compostable, do you?
  • We're still enjoying pie, however.  We orderd homemade pies from my co-worker, who baked the most delicious apple and pumpkin pies and used gluten free methods to do it.  The converted kitchen of her granny flat has a tiny oven that could only fit one pie at a time--19 times she did that!  She was rightfully exhausted but earned many raves.
  • My only shopping foray out of the house from Wednesday night through Sunday was a two hour trip to JoAnn's fabrics on Saturday.  Hmmm.
  • Had an optometrist appt on Saturday and picked out new frames.  My total after insurance paid was only $70 so I was doing a happy dance.  When Grant and I got home an hour later after having a late lunch, we had a message from the optometrist's office that the girl forgot to add in my progresssive lens' cost and we would owe another 93 bucks.  The happy dance was short lived.
  • While at the optometrist's, we watched an elf decorate her windows with paint.  She was wearing a costume and even the ears.  Watching her write "Seeson's Greetings", and being a speller for a living, it bothered me.  Then she added glasses on top of the S-E-E.  Cute!
  • Traffic rant:  The offramp is not the place to speed up.  Really.  The chances of hitting a red light are pretty high, and there are very few without a stop sign. So get off my bumper!
  • My nephew had surgery to repair a torn tendon in his leg.  They didn't give him crutches at the surgery center.  Not sure how they thought he was going to get to the bathroom, kitchen, etc.  Was he supposed to hop on one foot while on pain medication?  Fortunately, Grant had some from his knee surgery and my brother came to pick them up.  Note to young men: do not accidentally fall through sliding glass doors.
  • Time to put away the fall decor and get out the advent box.  I know what I'll be doing tonight!

My poinsettia last year.

6 comments:

Shay said...

Its going to be a wild weekend of Christmas decorating here too Annie.

Loved the "Seesons Greetings " story. Was she a real live elf?

Hope your nephew feels better soon. It sounds like it could have been much worse!

Browndirtcottage said...

Good ORTS today girl!!!

Unknown said...

Your Poinsettia is huge! The only time I have ever seen them that big is when we lived in Florida!

Sorry about your nephew - hope is is up and at em soon!

We will begin decorating for Christmas when The Baby gets home on Christmas break. That will be on the 11th. I am making mental notes of where I want to put things.

Sounds like your pies were great. How sweet that your friend made so many!

Don't get me started on traffic - one thing that gets me crazy is when I want to turn left and the person in the lane across from me waits for me to turn before him - even though he is going straight. I don't think WV drivers ed taught that left turn always yields.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

WOW! What did you feed your poinsettia?! That is huge! :-) I'll never show my little stem with the droopy leaves~LOL! ;-) Have a happy week!

Libby said...

Your traffic rants are always my favorites. I miss real traffic and poinsettias, too *s*

Vivian said...

At least the eye doc office called the same day to correct the mistake. My LEAST favorite version of that story is when somebody tries to explain a mistake made days before.
No crutches offered at the surgery center? Good grief! Sounds like somebody forgot to give him a "what to bring to surgery" list.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...