- Shopping in Newport Beach was a lot of fun, though Grant's co-worker and wife saved their entire spree amount and spent their own cash to see a movie and eat out. They had their eye on a new big screen TV closer to home. Smart!
- The hotel was fully decorated for Christmas and in typical So Calif style there were poinsettias everywhere, stuck into the base of all the large potted palms and amid all the outdoor landscaping. I just love those bright pops of red.
- Entertainment at dinner was a magician/comedian who had us all laughing. He brought several people up on stage and riffed off all of them. I admire people who are quick with the witty lines...I always seem to be three beats behind!
- Traffic rant: Crossing major streets in marked crosswalks with a green walk sign means the pedestrian has the right of way. I was almost brushed by the car of a lady driver who couldn't wait another two seconds for me to reach the curb. If I had dropped a package or something and bent down to pick it up, she would have flattened me. Really, people, just count to three--or even two--before you barrel around someone walking past your vehicle!
- The tree decorating took two nights. I only had help from Erica with the lights and did all the rest myself. I can't imagine having multiple full sized trees to decorate alone! Finally all the decorating is complete. I think.
- I'm feeling more than a bit overwhelmed that suddenly it is 10 days until Christmas Eve--the stockings are not hung, the presents are not wrapped, the shopping is not done, and I'm not ready for our staff party this Friday. I need another week between Thanksgiving and Christmas, which we won't get until 2012, but the world is supposed to end then anyway, so why worry?
- The perfect accompaniment to holiday decorating:
Fuji apple slices and warmed Fleur de Sel caramel sauce from Trader Joe's served on a Christmas plate. Yummy!