Monday, November 28, 2011

Design Wall Monday--Nov 28, 2011

There's nothing on my design surface today--because I've finally started on the quilting I'd been avoiding contemplating. After finishing all the larger squares of the wedding quilt Saturday with the ginkgo leaf motif, I started quilting on the smaller white ones.



This motif is a made up compilation of a Dard Hunter Rose and a sort of spiral.   I practiced on paper and then with a bamboo cuticle stick on the actual quilt square before beginning free motion quilting.  I found it easiest to start with the outside circle and then spiral inward in a sort of triangle fashion.  Some extra love is sprinkled into the quilt with the center hearts.

Initially I tried out a rust/cream variegated thread in the white squares but decided what I really wanted to stand out was the texture and not the thread.  Naturally, I ran out of white machine quilting thread before completing all the flowers. There is plenty of thread tying and clipping to keep busy with, though, until I get to the fabric store for more thread.  See more Design Walls on Judy's Patchwork Times.

20 comments:

Barb said...

This is going to look fabulous!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, Annie; I LOVE it~ :)

Quilter Kathy said...

Love how it's coming along, and how you are making it even more special with all the quilting details!

Barb in Mi said...

Beautiful quilting - I love the looks! And so much personal attention per block. It is going to be a fabulous quilt!

Angie in SoCal said...

That is turning out beautifully!

Vicki H. said...

Lovely, I think I will have to try that design, it's great!

Kim Brackett said...

Very cool design -- love it!

Shay said...

It looks like Christmas exploded onto your blog. I like it !

Those little hearts just look perfect. I never would have expected those in addition to the ginko leaves. It's going to look wonderful!

Banaghaisge said...

The heart-filled roses look fantastic. And they go so well with the wind-blown gingko leaves. To show that marriage isn't all roses, sometimes there are days when the wind blows up a bit of a storm, but the whole remains together. Like your quilt.
How lyric am I?
I haven't ever seen gingko trees, wonder if we have them here. Such recognisable beautiful leaves.
Hugs,xxxxx

Kate said...

Love the roses! Very, very pretty.

Sue Daurio said...

oh sooo pretty, and the heart in the middle really sets if off!!

Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, I really like the dard hunter rose! And the heart adds the perfect accent.

Elaine said...

mom i lurve it!

Denise :) said...

I do like the white squares; I have to agree that they stand out beautiful and colored thread in the quilting in them would have been distracting. Great work! :)

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! :)

Vivian said...

Great progress on the quilt. Cool rose. I wasn't familiar with the name of it.
DD and DSIL are going to love their special quilt (as Elaine already wrote above).

Kyle said...

Annie, I really love the way the design shows up in the white square. Very cool pattern.

Sarah said...

Hi Annie - I love your rose design!

Mary said...

I had never heard of practicing with a cuticle stick! What a great way to get the feel of a design before actually doing it.

Rhonda said...

Love this quilt Annie and the quilting is looking good!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...