Saturday, November 26, 2011

Quilting leaves on a windy day

This morning I finished free motion quilting all of the larger squares on the wedding quilt. Well, except for one that needed ripping out due to a big tuck on the back.
Each ginkgo leaf is different, just like the ones blowing off the tree in my neighbor's yard.

I used a variegated 40 wt thread that shows up nicely against most of the blocks.

There are 42 of these 8" squares and I have the leaves going every which way across the top.  Next, I plan on quilting the smaller white squares with another organic type shape, a loose interpretation of a flower.  ITIS is the name of my quilting game--I'll Try It & See.  Practicing only goes so far!

13 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I love gingko leaves and your quilted version looks so professional.

Shay said...

Brilliant ginko leaves ! They look awesome Annie.

Tanya said...

Your ginko leaves look just like all the ones that are falling in my neighborhood! They are such a pretty yellow!

Stephanie D said...

Oh, they're turning out beautifully, Annie! Nice work!

Browndirtcottage said...

I'm really impressed with your quilting, not to mention the whole quilt! You have a nice selection of colors and shades! I.LIKE.

Kate said...

The leaves are turning out beautifully. You made a lot of progress this weekend.

Barb said...

Your leaves look wonderful!

pcflamingo said...

I like that so much! What a perfect way to quilt that quilt.

Candace said...

I love the Ginkgo leaves, Annie! I see them all over our town and would love to have a tree in my yard for the beautiful fall color, but not the raking of the leaves! Your quilting is perfect!
Cheers!

Michele said...

Lovely leaves! Looking great :-)

Anonymous said...

Looking good Annie!!

antique quilter said...

I just love your gingko leaves...fabulous
keep going!
Kathie

Angie in SoCal said...

Beautiful work, Annie!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...