Friday, February 17, 2012

My Quilting Past

Amazing what one finds in a box stuffed in a closet. A folder with photos of a quilt in progress, taken by my mom. This is the first bed-sized quilt I ever made, which was a 40th birthday present for my sister, Kathy, in 2002, and is queen sized.


This is from Eleanor Burns' Double Pinwheel pattern book.  My assistant there, DD Erica, will just be thrilled with this photo of her at age 12.  She helped me feed the beast while I quilted straight lines with the walking foot.  I think is the last quilt using only three colors in my quilting history!  You can see that I had the binding attached but only stitched down to the back partway.  This is a quilt I've gotten to visit a couple of times, and even slept under, as it lives in St. Louis.  I made matching pillowcases out of leftover fabric some time after the quilt, and there are still scraps of that purple print that recently showed up in the HST pinwheels I've been sewing as leader-enders!  Ah, memories...

13 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Annie! How wonderful this is. So pretty, too. A real classic pattern. I really like the color reverse effect in the border work. Thanks for sharing this. You've been at this for quite some time my friend, quite some time. :) ...and is that machine still your trusty friend?

Sarah said...

Lovely quilt and great memories. So many of mine (ufos and finished) are not documented as they should be. Need to work on that...

Lee said...

Very nice, I like that pattern a lot. Your color combo is nice too. I've made two from her book, one was a Q, but would fit a K, the other a double. Both were tied though which made 'quilting' a whole lot easier!

loulee said...

You haven't changed a bit!!!
Lovely quilt.

Shay said...

That's a real beauty of a quilt Annie. I don't think I've ever made a quilt with only three colours but it's very effective.

I love looking back over my very limited quilting past and seeing how much my eye or design skills have changed.

Candace said...

Gorgeous, Annie! Isn't it nice to visit your creations?
Cheers!

Barb said...

That quilt is soooooooooo beautiful!

Dawn said...

Wow! first quilt? seriously?
You'll never get to see my first quilt ;-)

Kate said...

Very pretty. And very big for a first quilt! It's great that it's still in use.

Libby said...

What a fun peek down memory lane *S* BTW - I think I made the same quilt in the exact same colors *lol*

Vivian said...

The hair style may be a bit different, but you don't look a day older. Your first quilt is a lot more impressive than my first Q. How special to have a DD help feed the quilt under the walking foot. It's impressive that you didn't give up on such a large project, with the challenge of maneuvering such a large one around.

Michele said...

It's wonderful! I'm so glad you shared it :-)

Lorraine said...

what a nice little meander down memory lane! thanks for sharing.....!

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...