Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tuesday's Orts--Feb 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!  Tuesday's Orts--a collection of thoughts and bits of my week that land here.
  • My husband jinxed me by asking, since he had to go to jury duty, how long it had been since I went.  That very day when I got home from work there was a jury summons waiting for me.  Curses!
  • On the jury summons it lists things you cannot bring into any court facility, "including cameras, knives, scissors, handwork needles, metal fingernail files, tools, wallet chains, handcuff keys or any items that could possibly be used as a weapon."  Let's see, that list technically also eliminates cellphones (cameras), car keys/pens/pencils (stabbing or jabbing), and credit cards (slash factor). 
  • Things I Don't Understand:   The allure of blue or bubblegum pink hair, i.e., Nicki Minaj and Katy Perry at The Grammys.  Both just looked kind of ill.
  • Is it ever OK to answer "moody and distracted" when someone asks how you are?  Just checking...
  • Grant and I went looking at flooring over the weekend to replace our nearly 21 year old carpeting.  The style of carpet we have (slightly longer twist with flecks of other colors) is now so old that it is coming back in style.  Geesh.
  • This time two years ago I was hand quilting the mini quilt I made for my first blogaversary: 

I seem to have an affinity for half-square triangle mini quilts.  These turned into a square-in-a-square design and were leftover from the quilt I made my darling husband.  It almost killed me not to put green fabric in it!

8 comments:

Shay said...

I'm probably about to jinx myself but I've never been called for jury duty (and I only know one person who has)

I have a bathroom that is so old it's coming back as a retro style. I don't care. It's going to be demolished this year regardless.

Happy flooring shopping. What did you choose?

Libby said...

I'm kind of intruigued by the hair colors. I suppose it's the 'rebel' in me *s*

*karendianne. said...

Looks like some nice hand quilting in that little quilt there my friend! I'm a simple, classic girl so I figure if you can't pull it off with what you got - put a bag over it. Well, I don't really mean that. To each his own. That's really more my style.

Not only is it okay to respond "moody or distracted" it's a kindness. If they want more, to be a listener or offer a kind word then they can and if not, they can feel free to walk away because gosh, they might be having the mother of all headaches!

Pokey said...

Ooo, sorry for the jinx! My honey enjoys jury duty, but I hate everything involved with it, including the drive to the unknown courthouse-living in LA County, you could be summoned to anywhere! I hope that goes easy for you.
I really like your mini. I'm so into the reproduction prints lately. Funny that you are missing the green ~
:-}pokey

Stephanie D said...

Hmmm, the one and only time I got called for jury duty, I took some handwork and quilted. Times have changed, huh.

Wonder if a Kindle or iPad would qualify as a weapon. After all, you could always bash someone over the head with one.

Candace said...

Late congratulations on your recent blogiversary, Annie! Gee - I hope you at least get to take a magazine or a book to jury duty! Oh - and as to the mood - you bet its OK - you should be able to feel the way you are ;>) Happy carpet shopping - so many selections, so many choices! Love your little mini quilt - such perfect little hand stitches!
Cheers!

Julie in the Barn said...

The last time I got a jury summons I took knitting only to discover the metal needles aren't allowed. Wooden ones yes, metal no. Can't say I understand the appeal of neon colored hair. But I don't have a tattoo either. I'm just so behind the times.

Kate said...

I don't get the pink or blue hair either. I've jury duty once, I never got picked.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...