Sunday, April 1, 2012

Coffee Flavored

Today was the day for getting started quilting my brother Ted's quilt, a Bricks and Stepping Stones (Bonnie Hunter/Quiltville) free pattern.  Many of the fabrics have a coffee theme because my brother loves coffee, so I chose an appropriate free motion quilting design from Leah Day's From Daisy to Paisley book:

Leah's samples are stitched at 1/4" scale, but I blew that up to about 2" x 4".

I practiced first on some paper and then a scrap sandwich.

From the back, here are the first few coffee beans on the actual quilt.  Making the ovals is the hardest part.  Some of these look more like baked potatoes, but that's okay, 'cause I know my brother likes those too :). 

I used a variegated thread in coffee-with-cream colors.  One quarter is completely done and I'm feeling very positive about how this is quilting design is going so far.  This needs to get shipped to Ted before the temperatures in Arizona reach triple digits.  I better hurry!

16 comments:

*karendianne. said...

I've always loved this pattern but never made it. Now you've grabbed my attention.

Watching you do the FMQ is really educational. I can see how a person might really do that. Thanks for putting this post together.

Anonymous said...

You are doing a fab job! I think they look like coffee beans...what a fun idea and pattern.

Vivian said...

You've picked the perfect FMQ design for Ted's quilt. Thanks for sharing your prep up to the actual quilting. We can always learn by seeing the steps someone follows. It's looks fab!

Marg said...

They definitely look like coffee beans, what a great idea. It;s going to look fabulous when it's finished.

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Wow! as a fellow coffee lover, I LOVE this. Never have seen that pattern. I will have to remember it and thanks for sharing!

carol fun said...

The perfect complement for this quilt - coffee on coffee - great idea!

Quilter Kathy said...

Another creative quilting design! Very cool!

Janet O. said...

I giggled at your comment about the baked potatoes.
This looks like the perfect design for this quilt. You are so brave about just jumping in and doing it. Following you is good for my courage.
I did order this book--can't wait 'til it comes, and we'll discuss your commission later. : )

Shay said...

Baked potatoes- coffee beans - it all looks fantastic.

antique quilter said...

This looks great, I love that you chose that pattern for him, very thought ful.
good luck getting it done!
Kathie

loulee said...

Love the coffee beans.

Pokey said...

Hey, good job on those coffee beans!
:-}pokey

Abby and Stephanie said...

I think Ted is a lucky guy!

One Minnesota Quilter said...

I have always like that pattern from Bonnie. Your quilting design looks perfect; however, I think it would drive me batty trying to quilt that design. You are doing a fantastic job!
Judy

Ted Corse said...

I like potatoes too! You'll be required to deliver this in person however.

Nanette Merrill said...

Very cool. I always practice on paper first.

Design Wall Monday--Catching Up

 Design Wall Monday --See more design walls on Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts blog.  I disappeared for awhile, due to computer issu...